Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,464 Posts
I belive there is a Turkish mauser.com,but if you can get "Mauser bolt action rifles of the world" by WD Ball,that is a good reference and will have pictures of the 1890 Turkish mauser.Also "Mauser bolt rifles "by Ludwig Olson.Ludwigs book is about 80.00 from Brownells,and I have seen Balls book at Borders.It is the old fashoned way to find things out but It is all I had before the internet.A orginal Turkish 1890 in the orginal caliber 7.65 is very rare.Orginal Turkish Mausers with all the writing on the side of receiver and Toughra crest are also rare.Good find and welcome to Gunboards!-You will find out if you have Turkish 1890 or Belgian 1889.Belgian has a steel barrel jacket but looks similar to Turk 1890 and Argentine 1891-Buy the books if you dare,then you wont be able to stop!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info and the welcome.I have checked turkmauser.com but theres only a very small section on the 1890.Ive been planning to pick up a good mauser book for awhile since I have a few but it would cut into my gun fund so Ive been putting it off :p

The rifle I have does have the Tughra on the top of the receiver along with all the arabic script on the left side of the receiver.Its also still in 7.65.If I get a chance Ill post some pics of the rifle before and after the restoration.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Hello Tater134,

If you are correct in your evaluation, you have a M1890 Turkish Mauser that was captured from the Turks during WWI at Gallipoli or in Mesopotamia by the British, after which they were supplied to the Belgian Army fighting in Flanders due to the common caliber for which both models were chambered.

Belgian marked M90s have the Gettysburg address on them in the way of markings along with a Belgian Mle 89 rear sight. The Belgians also removed the top handguards in order to more closely approximate the configuration of the Mle 89. If you check the Belgian section of Bob's book, you will find information along with photos of the example from my collection that I acquired in Belgium.

Here are some photos of that rifle that show both the Turkish and Belgian markings on my M90. If your M90 is one of these rare examples it should have similar markings to those seen in the photos below.

Excellent! Well done. These are quite rare considering the numbers captured and reissued, which then had to survive the remainder of WWI, the inter-war rebuilds and eventually WWII.

If you can locate another original M90 in less than pristine condition, it would be worth restoring this rifle to it's original configuration. With that said, M90s are rare enough that this will be a tall order at best. Best of luck in your efforts.

Hope this info helps!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Tater,
Gorgeous rifle, and great restoration job. You are VERY fortunate to have found one in any condition. If you ever want to trade or sell it, let me know. I know human trafficing is not popular these days, :eek: but I can offer a range of active yet interchangeable grandchildren capable of light household duties. :)

By the way, where did you find it?
Regards,
John

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone.I found this rifle back in October at a gunshop near me.It was labeled as an Argentine 1891 and the price was $99.00.:D Luckily I knew what it was otherwise I wouldve left it there thinking it was just another bubbaed Argy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.