Gunboards Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
9,982 Posts
What a storm in a teacup!
The Report by 1886lebel is the definitive explanation of the history of the Turkish Orman carbines. With one addition:
The "N" mark is also found UNDER the metal shroud on the Barrel Shank!
Any Orman ( I suspect all) with an "N" mark ( post-1932 Berthier) will have originated from the Iraqi rebel Shipment ( Railway line passing thru Turkish Territory) or as suggested, Vichy troops exiting Syria to be interned in Turkey.( Both events 1940-41).
Even if Receiver is scrubbed of "N", LOOK under Metal Shroud.
All Post 1932 Modified French Berthiers have a Receiver AND Barrel "N" marking.
As the Gallipoli, Greco-Turkish, and Independance War Berthiers are Pre- 1932 booty, not likely converted as Not suitable for "N"
Ammunition...besides, with the seizure of the "N" rifle shipments in 1941, several million rounds of M1932N ammo seized as well.

With Turkey's republican policy of aiding other Middle Eastern states with military aid, countries such as Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and even Ethiopia would have received WWI era French Rifles, as did Afghanistan received Mosin Nagants.( German Booty to Turkey, Lenin's Border settlement re. Armenia.).

So look carefully for the "N" mark.
DocAV.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,914 Posts
The metal shroud is where the barrel and receiver meet up, do not take it off to see if it has the N mark, leave it alone, you might find it difficult to remove and put back on.

Patrick

·
Administrator
9,982 Posts
Patrick, I have found that once the Barrelled action is out of the Woodwork, the shroud is easily removed and replaced.
Just my experience in cleaning Orman Carbines.
( several) and looking at original French Barrel Dates)

Doc AV

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,914 Posts
I have seen too many people take them off and cannot get them back on, just leave it alone, 99% of them are Balle N marked.

Patrick

41 - 46 of 46 Posts