Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got one,off Gunbroker,I have several of the standard action Short rifles-what ever you want to call them-1946 short rifle,38/46 short rifle-hopefully Doc AV can shed some light on this.It is a old Navy arms import, Straight 1903 bolt,with slot in buttstock and sight ears on front sight.SN 448.Has anyone seen the 1903 short rifle with the turned down bolt with flattened knob? did the turks convert any 1893 rifles to the short rifle conversion?

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,035 Posts
I've got one with a turned down & flattened bolt knob, but I don't think mine is an '03 receiver. I'll have to check it. I saw a private seller pulling it out of a box when he was setting up his table at a local show several months ago. I was on him quick! $99 OTD. Same front sight protector as yours.

I'll post some pics tonight.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,427 Posts
I think it's been established the Turks didn't make '93 short rifles during the refurbs, though they had a few 1893-action carbines they bought from the Germans.

Anyways, congratulations on your buy! I have a 1903 action turk carbine/short rifle whatever, and it's by far my best-handling easiest-pointing most natural-shooting rifle I own.

·
Administrator
9,440 Posts
1903/37 Short Rifle

First thing to check on your short rifle is whether it is a 1903 derivative, or a Gew98 derivative( Both were made up in 1937-1940s.

From the three digit number, I would guess your date in 1937???

The sight ears were copied from the Kar98a, of which many were also "Tuked" by fitting new stocks and bands (the converted 98a's usually have bent bolts, with serrated undersurface of the knob).

These rifles have nothing to do with the later, (and Purpose built) K'Kale short rifles, made 1944-46 only, except for their general arrangement.

As with all things Turkish, what the Turks called them when they made them is unknown...the Importers lump all 7,9mm Turkish Mausers as "Model 38" , which the Turks used as a Generic description, not related to the origin of the rifgles or the variations possible.
Go to Ezboards (Parallax Curio and Relic Board..) for further details in the Turkish board...and my Survey of Turkish models and serial numbers. There is also a link to Turkish rifles which expands on my survey.

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doc,it is a 1903 Derivative,with the large stripper clip guide.hump on rear of receiverThe only SN is on the rear of the receiver bridge.The later 98 style short rifles I have have the SN on the side of the receiver ring.Gunhorde hope you can post some pics of your 03 short rifle with the bolt turned down.I wonder if they may have used some orginal turned down bolts from orginal 03 carbines.Thanks for all the replies.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fergus,Thanks alot.The bolt really makes the 03/38!! I will keep on looking for a turned down one,or Another 03/38 short rifle.Do you have the Turk 38 that has the add on stripper clip guide to make it look like a 03? I remember when Navy arms had a pile of these at OGCA and just wasnt interested at the time.I have been looking for 2 years now and have not seen one.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I recently bought a Short Turk rifle from a board member. Its a K KALE and the bolt number matchs the receiver and the sight. It was imported by Navy Arms too.

·
Registered
452 Posts
03 Turk short rifle

Bentonfahrer,

I am sure they did use the original Turk 05 or 08 carbine bolts in the 03 short rifles. I have a 03 short rifle that still has the original carbine serial number on the bolt. It somehow missed being scrubbed and re-numbered.

Joe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
There's one of these at a gun shop locally, though the muzzle has some pitting and weak rifle there, and they want $200 for it with excellent turk sling and standard turk bayonet and unfortunately reblued with a dark military like reblueing by former owner who reblued even the buttplate and screws like all his rifles that were up for sale after his death, bugged me cause I have two others, k-kales, one a matching bolt rifle with junky beech/heavily repaired stock, and one with a mismatched straight bolt walnut stock, both with decent bores above average.

I am not sure on principle I'd pay $200 for it, unless I got money suddenly to start throwing around willy nilly, maybe I am wrong, somehow. I don't like how the former owner refinished the straight bolt k-kale one I own that was his, paid a $150 for it with a cut down ww1 ersatz bayonet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts