Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all

took me a while but finally I could add a "german" 1887 Turkish Mauser to my collection. Pretty good condition, mirror shiny bore. The trigger guard looks slightly sanded, probably someone tried to take away some pitting. All other parts seem to be original. The serial number is 222568, matching besides the sight (222563, factory mistake?).

Does anyone know the highest serial number observed? WOLFGANG SEEL reports about 3.015 rifles of this type beeing produced from left over parts after finishing the production for the turkish contract. However, the ones I have seen were all in the 222xxx range. And he says that some of them were used by the "Wuerttembergischen Landsturm", but I have never seen one with military acceptance marks.

And comment highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Olaf

Attachments

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
For the first two years of the WWI the Germans (like every other combatant nation) were desperately short of rifles. The Mauser factory had a quantity of Tufekli 1887 left over from the Turkish contract and these were issued to units of the Wurttemberg Landstrurm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts