Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellow Members-My third Turk Mauser has one of the newer "FAT" stocks on it.It appears to be a Beech stock.When I loaded Turk or Yugo 8mm,occasionally a bullet will hit the mag well forward wall below the feed ramp and not feed into the chamber.I replaced with a new mag spring but no improvement.The Romanian ammo works fine,I guess because the lacquered cases are slippier than the brass cases.Another collector told me that the forward inletting of the trigger guard might need more wood removed around the forward action screw.He told me to remove the action from the stock and bolt together and cycle some rounds.If it cycles fine with these rounds,then I should remove a little inletting around the forward action screw.Still,this removal must be a minute amount,as the mag well is NOT supposed to touch the receiver,correct?If it does ,you run the risk of having the action loosen in the future,correct?Thanx for any info,as this one has me stymied!-Gearhead

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
I'd guess you've got too much wood between the mag well and receiver. The brass cases may be rubbing against it and hanging up, while the lacquered ones slip past it.

The mag and receiver bottom should be parallel and not quite touching, well under 1/16" on the ones I just checked.

If you do take too much off and the action is loose, bedding with a little acraglass will correct that.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,379 Posts
I have three Turks; 1941, 19143 1nd 1944 K Kales.
All of them, from time to time, have feeding issues with Turk, Greek and Yugo 50s ammo; Romo is never a problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanx Guys!

Really appreciate the responses,ESPECIALLY from James-He's da' Mauser man!Riflemanone,I've NEVER had a FTF with my other M38 and M1893,which is why this one has me so stymied!Both the rounds on the left and on the right stub sporadically.The actual gap is definitely less than 1/16" at the front-bordering on 1/32-1/16".Should this gap be the same around the entire area between the mag wall top and the receiver bottom?Am wondering if the receiver bottom and the mag are actually parallel to each other.It cannot be much,because I can push on the stubbed rounds and they will begin feeding again.Wish I'd bought more than 2 cans of Romanian,as I'd only plan on using them in my M1893:(Got gobs of Yugo and Turk ammo!For certain the mag wall and receiver bottom should NOT be touching,correct James?Also,if I take just a HAIR off of the wood around the forward action screw,this MAY correct the problem IF the action cycles fine out of the stock,correct?Thanx again!:)-Gearhead

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cured the Problem!

Bought a small hand carving chisel and VERY carefully scraped a SMALL amount of wood off of the inletting around the forward action screw.Also replaced the mag spring with a stronger one from Brownell's and cured ALL feed problems with all ammo!;)The fitting was SO POOR between the stock bolt and recoil lug that I had to accraglass TWICE.This poor inletting caused a SMALL 2' x 1/16" deep hairline crack behind the rear action bolt which forced me to drill and insert with Accraglass a piece of brass allthread through the center of the stock wrist.Hope that this cures any future crack migrations:)-Gearhead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts