Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a cleaning rod for Turk 1893, but I'm only finding ones for 1938.
Are the rods the same, or is this incorrect to the 1893? I'm more interested in my rifle being correct than just finding one to just fit.

Also, muzzle protectors, which version was used by the turks on an 1893, and were the bore funnels used on 1893 models?

and lastly, which sling is correct?

I see rick reich has slings, any of these correct for 1893?

Anyone know sources for these things, other than sling which I can get from rick.

Were the turks issued cleaning kits with these rifles?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Virtually all Turk cleaning-rods are physically interchangeable. The "correct" one for an 1893 or 1903, would be all steel, with a steel cleaning jag that is threaded onto the end of the rod. Later Turk models made in Turkey had rods of the same length, but with the cleaning jag crudely brazed onto the end of the rod, or rods made completly from brass.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I reckon the Turks used the same type of sling on all their 8mm conversions. Basically a leather strap tied with leather thongs. Here are a few pics of a sling that came with my 1893 Turk. It looks like it has been on there since the 1930's.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
I'm looking for a cleaning rod for Turk 1893, but I'm only finding ones for 1938.
Are the rods the same, or is this incorrect to the 1893? I'm more interested in my rifle being correct than just finding one to just fit.

Also, muzzle protectors, which version was used by the turks on an 1893, and were the bore funnels used on 1893 models? I agree with Beanstrung's description of the original rods. Buy them when you can because most are the village blacksmith, hand-hammered type.

and lastly, which sling is correct?

I see rick reich has slings, any of these correct for 1893?

Anyone know sources for these things, other than sling which I can get from rick.

Were the turks issued cleaning kits with these rifles?
Original Turkish Model 1893 rifles have most likley not been in Turkish service since before WW II. The original Turkish 93's were all delivered by 1895, over 110 years ago, along with slings. To my knowledge, there are no surviving slings identifiable as original Turkish slings. Although you can find slings for Turkish Mausers today, (they wear thongs!) none are original to any model in particular.

Original M.1893 cleaning rods are common and I see them often at shows. If you rifle uses an original M1893 stock, the rod should work fine.

The only original period muzzle coveres for Turkish Mausers I have seen were made of heavy brass in Ottoman Turkey and are enscribed in Ottoman Turkish text. They are rare and can cost as much as $60-75.

I have never heard of, or seen, any original Turkish cleaning kits from any period.
Regards,
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts