Gunboards Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Once in a while a turd wrangler gets his ole Dremel tool and die set out to create a masterpiece of fraud and ends up with a true comedy routine. This one is a laugh riot and fortunately even the fish aren't biting. You guys can spot the malfunction, which brain fart transcends mere poor quality bolt boinking.

Auction link:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=105878820

·
copper Bullet Member
11,490 Posts
Die outlines on safety and elsewhere may indicate multiple and possibly painful "thumb over end of chinese stamp" strikes. I Like the wrong size, last 2 digit marks on the shroud saves time! I know theres more but too many owees.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
That is funny.... It is like the guy writing his bank robbery note on the back of one of his own checks and then leaving it at the bank after the robbery. To quote Bugs Bunny.... "What a Morooon"

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Yeah, it's super-boinked, but I'm still wondering just what the 5388 1 K receiver SN is supposed to represent. Which (if any) of these numbers were on this gun when it left the factory?

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
To me that "1" and "k" are probably right because there is no sign of tampering with the receiver. The mill marks are present and unfettered as far as i can see. The other boinked poop is good enough to sell at a low class pawn shop. Yes, pawn shops have their own social classes.

·
Diamond member
1,630 Posts
Yeah, it's super-boinked, but I'm still wondering just what the 5388 1 K receiver SN is supposed to represent. Which (if any) of these numbers were on this gun when it left the factory?

The space between the last eight and the one was inadvertent. All of the numbers and the letter on the left of the receiver ring were put there by Mauser Oberndorf. Mauser Oberndorf went to 5 digit serial numbers at the start of 1943.

To put it in proper legal perspective: the point here is that the seller didn't recognize that fact and invented a story for it. I can't say that the boinker who boinked this rifle is the same individual as the seller who in fact may be simply a boinkee, but assuming that the boinker (bad man) and the seller (boinkee) are not one in the same, then the boinker also missed this piece of Mauser Oberndorf trivia while he was busy boinking the rifle.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
So the bolt numbers should be 3881? I know it's a 5-digit SN, but the "1" appears to be a different font, as well as being mislocated. I've never seen a 5-digit byf SN like that, but of course that means nothing.

·
Diamond member
1,630 Posts
So the bolt numbers should be 3881? I know it's a 5-digit SN, but the "1" appears to be a different font, as well as being mislocated. I've never seen a 5-digit byf SN like that, but of course that means nothing.
The bolt should be marked with 3881 over the lower case k.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bolt should be marked with 3881 over the lower case k.
Budda bing. That's typical byf "1" font. The humper got confused and thought the serial was 5388 and a suffix that resembled a "1" when in fact the serial is 53881 with a "k" suffix. This is not only slipping, but falling back in it ;)

·
Banned
91 Posts
I sent a message to the seller pointing out a few of the errors---Here is his response:

No the SN is 5388 suffix 1 K

Other wise all the parts would be marked 3881. But, they are all marked
5388, 88

New research has been released stating BYF indeed used the number one as a
suffix at the end of 44.
This was discussed on one of the Mauser forums and not because of this rifle
but as a general topic and seemed to be the first plausible explanation to
the extra number one I have heard.
The other explanation by a renown German collector and former Luftwaffe
ground soldier is at the end of 44 many Gustloff parts were shipped to
Oberndorf and this may have been a Gustloff made receiver before being
assembled and proofed at the Nekar plant
Please don't assume the decent but incomplete Mauser books are written by
God, they have many mistakes and by their own admission are incomplete.

If you were right the bolt, bands etc would be 3881 and 81 and if you look
at the photos they are not. I doubt Oberndorf made such a mistake.

Bob

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent a message to the seller pointing out a few of the errors---Here is his response:

If you were right the bolt, bands etc would be 3881 and 81 and if you look
at the photos they are not. I doubt Oberndorf made such a mistake.

Bob
He is right about one thing. Oberndorf didn't such a mistake. Even if the humper realized that this was a five digit k block rifle, and boinked accordingly, his Kung Fu dremel and pimpshine skillz are way too weak. This argument would only hold true for rifles ending in 1s. Those with BiO's CD can look at great pics of a real k block. BiO, if you would post the receiver no. and bolt no. that may help ole Jethro understand.

Of course, he could always get a Certificate of Authenticity from someone who served in the Luftwaffe, which would change this analysis completely.

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, this seller and the owner of the waftard 98/40 are a lesson that one should always buy the rifle, NOT THE STORY. Some people believe those who are firm and unflinching in their stories. Some stories, such as these, are complete nonsense. Remember folks, some people talk out of their a$$e$ and do so with great conviction.

·
Moderator / Diamond member
3,686 Posts
Have a german accent, and be the figment of somebody's imagination. Funny how "experts" are so very often anonymous and un-named when they are being used to verify authenticity of humped rifles.
Cmon Bill, you know the expert- he's the guy at the gunshow that can afford the ENDCAP tables, and has 2 tables on either side of that to boot. Plus, he has quite a few "minty" 98k's that are all matched and for sale at the Jerky/Cleanyourglasses/glitterypurse show.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I dont mean to change the subject but since you say shows and tables at shows. I'd like to ask you guys if you see this at shows? Guys (dealers) who wont hardly speak even when you ask a question or ask to look closer at an item. I dont understand the attitudes from some people. I am an outgoing person (especialy with like minded people)( tr and 98 collectors) I think some of this very topic we are on could play into this. I would love to see every honest collector find his dream item and be happy. I surely see alot of suspicion from alot of people , it feels like in high school again sometimes.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.