Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I have a glass Mount Olive pickle jar with a screw on tin top that is about 5" outside diameter just waiting for the ss pins. Well, I thought I would get a jump on delivery date of tomorrow so I de-primed all, about 425, 45acp brass casings earlier today. Later today the pins came early so I threw the casings in the jar, added some dawn soap and 4lbs of pins while keeping the other 1lb out for now. In the jar I put about 300 cases and covered with warm water. Slapped the top on it and put it on the treadmill at 1 mph. I have a blue round sticker on the side of the jar and it rotates just under 1 rpm/second which is what the recommendation is I believe.

I don't have lemon shine so does anyone else know what I can add that will help brighten the cases? BTW, I ran the jar on the treadmill and after 3 minutes the water turned pretty dark from the carbon. I stopped the machine and pulled a case out and couldn't believe that it was much cleaner than one I didn't put in the jar.

So I wonder about putting orange peels in the jar or ??? Maybe a few drops of Brasso brass cleaner???? The label says it has petroleum distillates.

I understand about the baffle that helps the internals tumble but the casings were tumbling pretty decent as is.

·
Administrator
9,610 Posts
I hope your "Pickle Jar" is PVC or Polycarbonate or other high strength Plastic....Glass will shatter if used for Tumbling.( over time)

I use a Concrete mixer, with Granulated PVC & Copper Dust (electrical cable recycling), and no additives at all. 6 Hours and Cases are "Factory Commercial New"...4 Hours and they are "Military New".

The Media will last well past 30 cycles.

Doc AV

·
Platinum Bullet Member
58,987 Posts
I hope your "Pickle Jar" is PVC or Polycarbonate or other high strength Plastic....Glass will shatter if used for Tumbling.( over time)
he said glass, and agreed, not a good idea,

I use a Concrete mixer, with Granulated PVC & Copper Dust (electrical cable recycling), and no additives at all. 6 Hours and Cases are "Factory Commercial New"...4 Hours and they are "Military New".

The Media will last well past 30 cycles.

Doc AV

no that's a heck of a set up!!!!

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Try a little Vinegar in your mixture, but don't let the cases marinate for hours in it. When done tumbling, wash the vinegar off under running water immediately, before the cases begin to oxidize again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts