Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some 7.65 milsurp give to me couple hundred rds. shoots fine. some of it chamber hard. oh yeah the ammo is dirty/corroded, so i was thinking about tumbling it all.

Anyone ever tumbled live ammo before?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have not tumbled any, but probably would. The brass never gets hot and I wouldn't think corn shucks would be hard enough to set a primer off. You should be ok. let me know how it goes I may do the same thing.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I wouldn't tumble it. The individual grains of powder are coated & this + their size controls burning rate. Tumbling may change that.Read a can of powder, it says do not shake (for that reason).Try a little steel wool or a rag w/DA on the cases.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have

tumbled about a case....have talked to lots of folks that have also..it was fine....after I pull the bullets and download it to 38-39 grains on the 1970's 308 indian. That stuff shoots like a mother! Very accurate at 38.5 gr

I got some 7.65 milsurp give to me couple hundred rds. shoots fine. some of it chamber hard. oh yeah the ammo is dirty/corroded, so i was thinking about tumbling it all.

Anyone ever tumbled live ammo before?

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
Tumble it !! It will work just fine !!

regards....roger

·
Registered
33 Posts
A commercial reloader who is a friend of mine puts his ammo in a cement mixer (with the vanes removed) and tumbles his to get the lube off and shine the cases up-no problems.

Still, I've heard forever that it is not safe to do so as the powder granules will break apart and the burn rate will be altered resulting, possibly, in unsafe pressures.

If I were to do it, I would do it for a very short time.

Bob

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've tumbled MANY batches of reloads to get rid of excess lube, grime and funk from the loading process. Forces present in the bowl of a vibratory tumbler, filled with media, will not be sufficient to break down the powder in your ammo, unless you've got one [email protected]$$ tumbler.

Remember, most of this surplus stuff survived many trips in the back of a government transport, over rough seas and rough roads. They've also survived carriage to and from the depot by the lowest of conscripts in foreign lands. Surplus ammo scoffs at your "tumbler."

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I did it.

I put in a couple handfulls of that live ammo, came back home after about five hours pulled it out.

Some part of the ammo was actually shiny, the rest was nice and smooth still ugly but im sure it will chamber better now.

Thanks
Michael

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,551 Posts
I left 60 rounds of filthy Greek .303 ammo that i was temted to pull and chuck the shells and powder away in the tumbler for about 20 hours with a good slurp of brasso. They came out nice and shiny but pitted, They looked like they had been in a leather bandoleer for some time. I shot them off at the range with no drama's but that jungle carbine did seem to hurt my old shoulder a bit more than usual. cheers chester.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've been tumbling loaded ammo for 30+ years. I use a Thumler's Tumbler which is pretty gentle. Mostly used to get lube off the cases and it only takes about 2 hours using corn cob media.

I've done some crudded up ammo of various calibers including a really goshawful case of 303 WW2 from Navy Arms. For this I use walnut media with Brasso or a similar product.

Never noticed any issues with any ammo and, yes, I've read the dire warnings posted on internet boards. I've also read the dire warnings in firearm manuals about how reloading is dangerous and not recommended.

Now.......where did I put my tinfoil hat?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Chester a Mate of ours in the Local Pistol Club Northern NSW left for 2 weeks holiday and inadvertantly left his Tumbler running with loaded Pistol rounds in .38 Special.. They all went bang at the range with no percepible difference.. They were shiney though.. He uses white Rice and Shellite..

·
Gold Bullet member
549 Posts
Hey Chester a Mate of ours in the Local Pistol Club Northern NSW left for 2 weeks holiday and inadvertantly left his Tumbler running with loaded Pistol rounds in .38 Special.. They all went bang at the range with no percepible difference.. They were shiney though.. He uses white Rice and Shellite..
And did the rice cook up OK ?? :)

regards....roger

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,551 Posts
Old Nick Haryey was preaching the dangers of tumbling live ammo long before internet. Old Nick admits he has been on the grog and telling lies a few times with the late and great Elmer Keith.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,456 Posts
This question has been raised going back at least 2 revisions of Gunboards. The consensus then, as now is that tumbling won't cause any component degradation.

I have tumbled some pretty tarnished surplus .308 ammo with good results. In pulling down several rounds from each batch, there was no evidence of powder breakdown.

·
Registered
110 Posts
800 grit or wire brush

usually after tumbling...the stuff that still has rust....hit it with 800 grit or brass brush....the 800 grit makes it look new. Just use it enough to smooth it out....after shooting I tumble brass like a mother....beautiful!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Just to echo all the other members, I tumbled old ODCMP 30-06, pulled a couple of bullets to check and the powder wasn't damaged. Shot horribly tumbled or untumbled, but the tumbled stuff chambered/extracted more smoothly. And it was prettier. It also made obvious that a couple of cases were pitted and after pulling the bullets, they were tossed.
D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would not tumble it, My freind tumbled some for me about 15 years ago and the case separted in my deer rifle semi auto, with one heck of a kick to boot. I had a heck of a time getting the case out, and was glad my rifle did not blow up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
bolt gun

7.65 is probably for a bolt gun....tumble it. If it's semi then look at it well...then shoot it...don't use anything marginal for a semi gun and you should be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts