Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first gun is the Westinghouse. Turns out that the receiver is an 1897 Tula. The Finns must have put the old barrel on an old receiver. The pic shows some pitting on the side under the parkerizing.

The straight logo will not come out on a photo due to the parkerizing. Just doesn't have enought depth left. SA mark on the lower left and upper right of the barrel shank. A "d" is just above the serial number. A Cyrillic D is visible just above the wood line on the left side of the receiver. The Finn 2-piece walnut stock has heavy varnish.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sounds like you found an interesting one, Ron. It's a little odd that I was poking through my antique MN collection tonight while you were posting about this one. For some reason the pre-1898's keep my interest..

D

·
0 Posts
I was unaware that the Finns parkerized their rifles. How common (or rare) is that?

·
Super Moderator
3,371 Posts
That is a very interesting barrel/receiver combo. Makes you wonder why they were mated together. I have a 1916 Remington barrel with a Westinghouse receiver, also Finn marked.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have a similar one. Going on memory, 1909 Sestroryetsk barrel on 1897 Sestroryetsk receiver, SA marked & in great condition. I think it likely both the Russians and the Finns did this type of thing. It is apparent the Soviets did it much later on m44 & 91/30 models at least.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I haven't seen a lot of evidence that the Soviets re-used old barrels, only that they placed new barrels on old receivers. There was a spate of this in the late teens/early '20s at Izhevsk and then it was intermittent until 1944 at Tula and 1945 at Izhevsk. Tula did it with M91/30s, M38s, and M44s. I have not found an Izhevsk M38 with an older receiver, but it's not surprising since there was so little M38 production in 1945 and the reuse of older receivers was likely later in the year.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ok, probably correct, maybe. But....do we have, say, '40s dated examples where the barrel & stock are original finish, appearing original to the barrel date, but earlier receiver? I mean, if we're looking only at "recent refurb" examples, can we really say that's how they were originally assembled (at the barrel date)? Just to be really technical (testicle?) about it!

BTW, that is an interesting rifle, Ron. You know, a lot of the Westinghouse barrel markings were so weakly struck in the first place, it's fortunate it can be seen at all on that example.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,380 Posts
I've had several that weren't recent refurbs. I don't think they'd have gone to the trouble to rebarrel receivers with 1944 and 1945 dated barrels in the 1960s/70s either and certainly not in the very definite pattern of using 1943 and 1944 Tula barrels and 1945 Izhevsk barrels almost to the exclusion of any other dates. There's a fine line between technical and contrary. The company on this side of it is much better IMO. ;)

·
Silver Bullet member
1,610 Posts
Here is the 1941 VKT M91 I picked up at Tulsa.Thanks to Vic for the cleaning rod, saved me some searching for one.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
There's a Finn 91 that looks just like it ought to. Careful with Vic, Sly, he can fix you up in more ways than one!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Nice one Sly, I looked it over Saturday morning and was tempted, glad it went to a good home.I was the guy with the scrub 91 you almost bought from me.

·
Gold Bullet member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
With batteries charged here are some more pics:
The 1941 Tikka is built on a 1917 Tula receiver. Parts are from all over. Mag is Chatellerault, bolt is Tula and Izhevsk, butt plate is Tula, stock has German stamps.

What is really interesting is the butt plate. On the top is Tula hammer. Running down the back is the number 7, an old serial number, 2 letters in script, "h", another old serial number, all of these stamped. Then on either side of the bottom screw are deeply scratched "A" and "S".

The rear site has Austrian numbers on the left side and Finn on the right. This gun has been around!! At least parts of it have.

·
Gold Bullet member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The last one is a 1944 VKT M39. This one has an imperial eagle unmolested on the receiver. I have been looking for one of those for a while. Saw 3 this weekend at Tulsa.

Nothing else is unusual about it. Seems to be in unissued condition. Not a bad haul for the weekend. Forgot to mention that all of these came with cleaning rods.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice rifles and great haul. I picked up a very nice M91/59 on the cheap, and a nice round barrel Tikka from Combat32. Appreciate the conversation and rifle. You are correct, the Tikka has a great trigger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts