Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Nice SVT. Factory original's are worth a lot more then refurbs and much harder to find.

Pavlin, to me a PU or M44 that is Finn marked is not worth more then a factory matching non-Finn example. But that is my preference/opinion and has been my experience in sales.
Yeah, I can't think of any Finnish marked rifle that would be worth more than the same rifle in original condition. Maybe a matching Lindelof rework (assuming they are wartime) might come close.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Yeah, I can't think of any Finnish marked rifle that would be worth more than the same rifle in original condition. Maybe a matching Lindelof rework (assuming they are wartime) might come close.
My personal experience where I bought things personally or seen them sold, almost all were auctions so there were multiple bidders involved:

1. Marcus (I think lots of folks know him) sold his mismatched Finn 43 PU for 3K few years ago. Another one (scopeless) also mismatched was sold on GB few months ago for almost 2K.
In comparison 4 or 5 all factory original matching (except scope) Izhevsk PUs were sold for $950-$1500 within last year. Most with just a very light stock refurb that's all. All original PU including scope will cost much more of course but my point is that SA stamp in case of PU snipers affects the price a lot. All original matching PU vs all original matching Finn PU. I think Finn PU will greatly outweights here .

2. Few months ago or so there was unrefurbed all factory matching non import M44 for $800 on GB that was relisted few times with no bids until the price was dropped to $600 and the rifle got sold with a single bid.
In comparison all original factory matching also non import Finn captured M44 went for $1500 a month ago or so

I think all original matching Finn captured Nagant M1895 would also bring a tad more than non captured in similar condition.

As for 91/30 and SVTs: non Finn i guess are more preferable then Finn here. Simply because there's tons of Finn captured 91/30 and SVT's. The major factor here would be how many original parts the rifle has and SA stamp won't matter one bit.

It all depends

·
Registered
129 Posts
My personal experience where I bought things personally or seen them sold, almost all were auctions so there were multiple bidders involved:

1. Marcus (I think lots of folks know him) sold his mismatched Finn 43 PU for 3K few years ago. Another one (scopeless) also mismatched was sold on GB few months ago for almost 2K.
In comparison 4 or 5 all factory original matching (except scope) Izhevsk PUs were sold for $950-$1500 within last year. Most with just a very light stock refurb that's all. All original PU including scope will cost much more of course but my point is that SA stamp in case of PU snipers affects the price a lot. All original matching PU vs all original matching Finn PU. I think Finn PU will greatly outweighs here .
...I let a Finn-capture PU get by me for $725.00 at an auction in February 2019.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,084 Posts
Service Armament imported these in the early 60's. I believe the price was $29.00.
Service Armament may have had some of the Finnish SVT 40s.

According to Markku Palokangas Sotilaskasiaseet Suomessa 1918-1988 - Book # 1, Page 324. That in 1959 Finland added 30,000 weapons to their surplus offering list including 17,300 Russian dragoon rifles, over 7000 Tokarev Semiauto rifles ,1000 L39 anti-tank rifles + mis pistols, SMGs, LMGs & MGs. (the Finnish break down list in the book - table V/3 shows 7790 SVT38 & 40). First several purchasers were interested in these weapons but many turned out to be rather shady. But Sam Cummings offered to buy the entire lot for InterArmco. The sale was agreed upon and Sam Cummings bought and imported the entire lot. The sale was agreed upon and in 1960-65 the whole shebang was shipped mainly to the US.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
...I let a Finn-capture PU get by me for $725.00 at an auction in February 2019.
You should’ve kept on bidding. Someone scored big time for $750

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Unfortunately no SVT cleaning rods available on eBay. I did find the old post and I’ve been searching. The cleaning rod might be a tough find it seems. Thanks for all of the member input I do think that I scored on the SVT 40 find.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,084 Posts
If you can be patient those rods will show up on the on-line auctions.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Very nice SVT.
Imho, just because an SVT doesn't have Finnish markings or modifications does not mean it was never used by the Finnish military. Many examples of various rifles without those markings or modifications have been sold on the US market since the 1950s...everything from Berdans and Arisakas to US made MN and otherwise...so, the lack of Finnish modification or marks does not exclude it from being possibly a Finnish origin import.
Lack of a US importer stamp might only be an indication the rifle was in the US before the 1986 FOPA, the first and thankfully only reg which requires newly imported surplus guns to have those stamps. No import stamp does not sanctify the rifle as a "bring-back". Could be? Yes. Only capture or import papers or unimpeachable historical personal papers could indicate that without argument.
In the mid 1990s a large group of SVT 40s was imported to the US, not of Finn origin, and many of these were in minty condition, similar to yours, although most were in refinished condition with purply-looking reblues. As with many of the post-86 Century imported Finn rifles, it's also possible this SVT missed being importer marked, for whatever reason; at the time of that import, although discreet import marks were allowed on barrels and in under-the wood locations, many rifles were not so marked--and there was no requirement at the time for a new, importer generated SN, so the original number could be used...just so you know.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
FGD135,

I like the bring back story myself. With that said, with this being my first SVT 40 I plan to find a magazine and shoot it as I’ve never fired an SVT. I plan to find an original cleaning rod not to clean it but to make it complete. I will clean it though with my one piece fiberglass cleaning rod and such, and put it in my safe to bring out occasionally and shoot it with other interested and interesting people. My question is now, if I pass on tomorrow what would my now educated loved ones expect the worth of an SVT of this nature to be at auction? I tend to document such information so that my former stuff doesn’t wind up in a garage sale for pennies on the dollar like I bought this SVT for;)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
FGD135,

I would my now educated loved ones expect the worth of an SVT of this nature to be at auction? I tend to document such information so that my former stuff doesn’t wind up in a garage sale for pennies on the dollar like I bought this SVT for;)
Rather than asking that question here, you should do proper research on the web, i.e., looking at completed auctions for an average sale price. Any price quote given here on GB would be self serving by most. An owner would likely want to inflate worth, a buyer would want to lowball in hopes of acquiring.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Understood and thank you for the insight of all the directions that this SVT could have come from.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
FGD135,

I like the bring back story myself. With that said, with this being my first SVT 40 I plan to find a magazine and shoot it as I’ve never fired an SVT. I plan to find an original cleaning rod not to clean it but to make it complete. I will clean it though with my one piece fiberglass cleaning rod and such, and put it in my safe to bring out occasionally and shoot it with other interested and interesting people.
You should not be shooting an all original SVT40. They are not the most sturdy rifle ever built, and chances are very good that you will crack the original stock or break an internal part.

If you want an SVT40 to shoot, sell this rifle (preferably to me) and you will have more than enough to buy a garden variety refurb that you can shoot as much as you want with quite a lot of money left over.

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,436 Posts
I agree with everything RyanE said except one thing...

you should sell your rifle to ME instead! ;)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
You want a shooter? Put that on Gunbroker, low starting bid. You’ll see how far the market will take you. How many past, matching SVT auctions are out there? Not a ton.

I wouldn’t shoot that at all. Sell it and you’ll make a killing I’m sure.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,351 Posts
You should not be shooting an all original SVT40. They are not the most sturdy rifle ever built, and chances are very good that you will crack the original stock or break an internal part.

If you want an SVT40 to shoot, sell this rifle (preferably to me) and you will have more than enough to buy a garden variety refurb that you can shoot as much as you want with quite a lot of money left over.
Dave:

Please pay attention to this advice. Some guns deserve a pampered existence behind glass. They simply should not be used. Not even a little bit. Your new SVT is one of those special guns. It should be preserved and protected not shot. What you have is very, very uncommon. Please don’t make it less special.

Please don’t tempt fate.

You could easily sell your rifle for far more than the cost of a shooter grade SVT and I’d be surprised if you haven’t already received offers.

·
Gold Bullet Member
1,429 Posts
Yes! What Ryan and Richard said. Please, please, please do not shot this rifle. If you break it, then you will ruin it's value. If you sold this rifle then you would have enough money to buy 2 refurb rifles to shoot all you want.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts