Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back during the 2012 shortage I bought some Tula 556 and 762 primers. I had the impression that they were the Tula equivalent of the CCI military primers.

I have not used these yet, sticking to CCI small rifle for .223 and Winchester large rifle for Masses.

Do any of you have experience with Tips or advice on any adjustments I should make when loading g with the Tula primers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Tula... wolf.. s&b.. winchester.. remington, federal/cci. They all look the same dumped out in a tray.. I've nover noticed a difference other than color when loading. brass makes more of a difference...

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but my Primer fill tubes, NOT the feed tubes the ones you use to fill the feed tubes with, of the RL550 Dillon jammed up so bad with them I had to replace 2 of the tubes. They have never jammed with any other primers. They felt "rougher" when inserting too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not sure how it works with smokeless reloading, but with blackpowder muzzleloaders I often see huge differences in accuracy and consistency from one primer brand to another, with certain guns and powders preferring different primers. I have only ever used federal large rifle primers for smokeless powder so not sure if the same trend holds true but I would not be surprised.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I've never had a problem with any brand of primer not going bang, but just like bullet, powder type and charge weight, it can be a variable in load development and performance. The only technical issue I have experienced firsthand is the reason for the warning to NOT use Federal primers in a Lee Pro 1000. Learned that the hard way when a full tray detonated!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I had heard that Federal were soft so I did not buy any.

I can't remember if I bought any Tula small pistol primers, but if I did I will not try to use them in my Dillon 550 tubes. For rifle I put the primers in with the RCBS hand tool.

I will make sure to treat the Tula primers as working up a new load.

Thanks again.

Joe

·
Registered
21,212 Posts
David Tubb, long range precision national champion uses Tula primers.

I jumped on the Tula bandwagon in 2010 and I have found them outstanding for long range precision shooting.

I have used Tula for rifle and pistol hand loading as well. I find them consistent and outstanding.

I had a primer tube that did not feed them very well...get a primer stuck sometimes on my Dillon 650 progressive. Called Dillon, they sent me a new tube and that solved the issue. I had a similiar issue with RCBS primer tube for my bench priming tool. Called RCBS, got a new tube and issue went away.

Both replacement tubes been 100% good with Tula and any primer now for over 10 yrs.

Tula are outstanding primers, very consistent ignition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.