Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this off Gunbroker 3 years ago and finally got around to cleaning all the cosmolene off it this weekend.It does have the post war stock with the SN stamped on LH side of buttstock.When I finally got it degreased,I saw that the Tang marking was 1942 Izhevsk.There are no unusual markings on the carbine except the 23 in a square on the barrel.The bolt is electric pencilled to match and has the 2 letter cyrillic pre-fix.I have only one Tula mfg M-44 and this is the first M-44 I have taken apart to find the receiver from a previous year and different mfg.I have only 8 Soviet M-44s and all of them the tang and barrel dates match.It does have the smaller Century billboard stamp,but the numbered stock is similar to the earlier imports(pre-Billboard) that had numbered stocks on LH side and came with cleaning kits that had Bulgarian instructions with them.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
1944 Tulas are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. :)

Interesting stamping in the double-boxed 23.

The Bulgarians are known to use a boxed or double-boxed 17 and 20 (probably other numbers as well) on the stock comb near the butt plate.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just wanted an example,and lucked out for 150.00.I finally took it apart.I remember when My Friend had his FFL and he was getting all kinds of 38's and 44's that all had the numbered stocks,cleaning kits and some had leather slings with the dog collars rivited to them.I belive some even came with leather ammo pouches that were more like a M-95 straight pull type.The tang marking date was very clear but there was a faint Izhevsk arsenal marking offset on the tang too.Is there a story on the Receivers? rejected 91/30'S or just 91/30s Rebuilt as M-44s later in the war??

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
During the Wehrmacht's "Operation Typhoon" in October 1941 to take Moscow the city of Tula became a Soviet salient in the front line. For that reason, production ceased at Tula and industry moved over the Urals to Izhevsk. When production restarted at Tula, other weapons were being made there. So when production of rifles got going again, Tula made use of many reused receivers. For that reason, a '43 Tula 91/30 or a '44 M44 [the only year of M44 production at Tula...] is more likely to have a reused hex receiver than an Izhevsk [except, perhaps, 1945 Izhevsk M44s, which apparently used up any remaining left over receivers]. I think that Tulas built on Izhevsk receivers that are round is probably more common but most folks don't take the carbine apart and check, or they just assume that the star '44 overstamp is the receiver mark.

There are cases where folks turn up a re-used low-wall Izhevsk receiver on a Tula, and then it is more obviously a reused Izhevsk receiver on a Tula carbine. Congratulations by the way. Years ago a fair price on a Tula M44 was 194, so getting one at 150 is quite nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.