Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this rifle in a gun shop a while back and brought it home, I recognized it as an ex-sniper, but other than that, I know very little about the type. I have attached a couple of pics, but I ran out of disk space before I could show the welded over holes visible on the inside of the receiver.

Please let me know: 1) what I have, 2) what it would take to restore with the correct optics and scope mount, where to find them

thanks

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
You have 1939 ex-PEM (most likely side rail mount, but it's hard to tell without clear picture of weld marks). In this case you are looking at about $1200-1500 to restore it with original parts (or $700-900 for reproduction).
However, the cut on the stock looks like top PE/PEM mount cut. In this case, the oposite side of the stock should have a cut as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the opposite side of the stock has a similar cut. Please explain the significance, what is the difference?

The welded over holes inside the body of the receiver are separated a lot more than the ones in the ex-PU I used to own. In this one, there is one welded over hole that is right about the middle of where the two PU holes were welded over. The other hole is well up inside toward the firing chamber, you really have to look with a flashlight to see it well.

Where can I find the correct scope and mount to restore this one?

·
Gold Bullet member
13,573 Posts
Sounds like you got an ex-PEM side mount rifle with a PE/PEM top mount stock?? Finding a real mount will be very difficult and expensive. A scope can be found in the $500-1000 range. Read the sticky on the Igor repro mount above. You may find one of these. I need a mount, as do hundreds of us. Hopefully some more will be reproduced. Feldsher is working on that.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. If I understand correctly, either the top mount or the side mount could be considered correct for this rifle, although with the date on the receiver of 1939, I thought they had gone to side mount by that time. Do you think they put a top mount on it for a time, then switched to a side mount later? Or would you guess they simply put a top mount stock together with a side mount rifle, which seems odd. The wood on this stock appears different from my other Mosins, I would guess it may be walnut, could that be right?

Which is better, the top or the side mount?

·
Gold Bullet member
13,573 Posts
Unless it also was a top mount at one time, which has happened, I would restore it as a side mount. It definitely was a side mount at some time. I would likely save that stock for a top mount gun future project.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great advice Mike.

Hope you don't mind a couple more questions as I try to figure out what I may want to do.

As to those top mount projects, are the top mounts and scopes seen on E-bay from the Ukraine and such places worth investing in as a reproduction?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,190 Posts
Can you post a pic of the right side of the stock? Can you post a pic of the right side of the reciever with the bolt open?

·
Gold Bullet member
13,573 Posts
The repro top mounts and the repro PE scopes are pretty good. I have not had a problem with the repro mount I have used. The scopes look nice and other than an few seconds with imperfect reticules, I have not heard anything bad about the scopes. I do not own one myself.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found another disk that had some space left, so here are some pics of the cut on the right side of the stock, and the holes in the receiver, plus the rifle as a whole, thanks for the interest, learning about this rifle has been fascinating, one of my more interesting gun shop finds, and it was priced like a more typical non-sniper 91-30, so I feel fortunate.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,190 Posts
Well, it looks like you have a PEM rifle that is in a top mount stock. If it were me, I would look for a PEM side mount and put the stock on a ex- sniper top mount. If you really want to do a top mount I'm sure someone would trade you for your rifle. You really shouldn't put a top mount setup on that rifle in my opinion. If you really want to scope a rifle, I'll trade you a PU ex-sniper for it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tend to do better with scopes because my eyes started getting bad at age 40, and that was way over a decade ago, thanks for the trade offer, but I would like to hang on to this one.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,085 Posts
You have 1939 ex-PEM (most likely side rail mount, but it's hard to tell without clear picture of weld marks). In this case you are looking at about $1200-1500 to restore it with original parts (or $700-900 for reproduction).
However, the cut on the stock looks like top PE/PEM mount cut. In this case, the oposite side of the stock should have a cut as well.
I have a '39 Tula "41" stamped 91/30 with the exact same cutout on it but only on the left side. What else could the cutout be for? It is very neatly patched:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts