Gunboards Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welcome to 2020 and the current milsurp market. Where have you been?
Buying all kinds of original finish/no safety TT33s- some with matching mags, rigs, documentation, etc for $900-$1300 with one outlier at $2000 between 2017-2019. I guess 2020 is a different animal.

Did a search and yep, the Russians are selling high. This is the only one I found that wasn’t in the stratosphere despite having a busted grip.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867734646

·
Gold Bullet member
10,489 Posts
I have Tokarev pistols in much nicer condition but this is the cheapest one I have found.

·
Silver Bullet Member
sks, tokarev, makarov, combloc
1,912 Posts
Back to the original post "is it worth the money". Or, why have 2 similar 1942 TT 33s sold for what appears to be big bucks?
They were both made at factory 74 near ishevesk and only for about 6 months in 1942.
Tula shut down and production was moved in late 41 over the urals to get away from the Nazi invasion. At first this separate plant made the TT -33 and later it was moved. The factory 74 guns have only a triangle with arrow. All later ones have a circle over the triangle factory mark.
This has been noted in other postings. I repeat it here for those who missed it.
I suspect the tokarev book coming out soon by member Cameron White will have a detailed explanation.
Mystery solved about why these are special. Worth the money? Collectors decide.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I acquired a Chinese Korean War bring back when I lived in LA in the early 70's. I went looking for ammo and the gun and hock shops were loaded with Russian and Chinese models. There was no ammo available, so they were worthless. Finally, a cop friend knew a class III Dealer with ammo. Times sure have changed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow that’s crazy prices. Inherited mine from grandfather, WW2 vet, was a bring back, year 1934, low 4 digit serial number, non matching mag with original holster. Bet it’s worth a small fortune, would never sale.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Wow that’s crazy prices. Inherited mine from grandfather, WW2 vet, was a bring back, year 1934, low 4 digit serial number, non matching mag with original holster. Bet it’s worth a small fortune, would never sale.
Please post some pictures. It is very likely a transition TT-30.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
7,821 Posts
About 7 years ago I came on here asking "Hey, found a 1934 dated for $600 in good shape, matching. is that a good deal" and was told "it's an Ok deal".
Didn't go get it, have been kicking myself ever since. "OK deal" should have been translated to "RUN back and buy it."

It was at that gun store in Myrtle Beach SC that had the civil war museum connected to it. Sadly it closed about 3 years back.

Now at $2500+, I realize I will never own one unless some pawn store gets one in and mislabels it as Romanian haha.

Live and learn..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Holy Cow! I count myself extremely lucky for finding this girl for $250 at a estate auction last year. It was poorly advertised and was missing a grip panel.The remaining grip panel was off of a Polish TT. I saw the Izvesk marking and the lacky of safety and I jumped out of my seat. She just needed some grips which were easy to get. I do not think I would spend more than $1200 if I had to buy one now.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
This is depressing. I had a TT30/33 transitional that I traded for a Walther P-5 about 20 years ago. The P-5 is long gone and forgotten, but the transitional Tok !

·
Gold Bullet member
10,489 Posts
This is depressing. I had a TT30/33 transitional that I traded for a Walther P-5 about 20 years ago. The P-5 is long gone and forgotten, but the transitional Tok !
Ouch! :cry:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah, there you go. So much for the guys saying show me a TT-33 that sold for over $2500. Done.
Yeah, well, allow me to repeat from an earlier post I made here; ... As Aldous Huxley opined in Brave New World, "you pays your money and you takes your choice". (Although another idiom, attributed to P.T. Barnum, also comes to mind.*) (*Underling and bold added for emphasis.)

And, yes, I do understand that something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. However, I'm not that someone. Btw, are you the buyer of the TT-33 in the OP? If so, you did not pay too much, you may have simply bought it too early.

This discussion leads to another totally different subject; I follow several GB vendors as I'm sure many of you all do. There is no question that prices for decent, unmolested WWII military handguns are going through the roof. This is happening during the time of COVID-19 and the tanking of the economy. I believe that most folks 401k's and investment portfolios are down (and in mho, are going lower soon and will stay there a very, very long time).

What's going on? I'd be interested in hearing others perspectives.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts