Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am really interested in getting a 7.62x25 pistol. I've read positives and negatives about both guns, but more negatives about the CZ. I just want something collectible and fun to shoot. I kind of like the look of the CZ-52 better; it looks like it would fit better in the hand. As far as prices, gunbroker has more TT-33s and Yugoslavian models than CZ-52s, but the prices seem to be about the same. How much should I pay for a good TT-33 or CZ-52? Both seem to be going for about $300.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
For your criteria, either one will do just fine. You can probably get both without much trouble. Just buy one when you can, then get the other a couple month later.

CZ-52 has longer grip so if you have short fingers, like I do, then it is not as comfortable to hold as TT.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I think, personally, long term and for shooting you should go tt33. I had a cz: I sold it once I had fired my first tt (a polish tt33). I also totally prefer the tt for feel and grip. The grip angle LOOKS bad until you handle one and fire one. ALSO, the tt does not requireany real maintanence or parts replacement other then the reoil spring. NOT so with the cz52. A decent number of 52's had worn rollers.

Go with the tt. You won't regret it. One of the most reliable and hardy semi-auto handguns fielded in the 20th century. Simply one of the best.

And go Polish or yugo if you can.If not one of them, go romanian. Russian are collectors. I avoid chinese. And SOG has romanian and polish for 190......

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For your criteria, either one will do just fine. You can probably get both without much trouble. Just buy one when you can, then get the other a couple month later.

CZ-52 has longer grip so if you have short fingers, like I do, then it is not as comfortable to hold as TT.
Haha, didn't think of that. Just buy both! Sounds like a good idea to me!

·
Copper Bullet member
599 Posts
My own answer is what I did,,, buy both. I enjoy shooting both. And I haven't had an issue with either. Parts for the TT are easy to find right now. As much as I shoot, I guess I should stock up. There are also some good deals on ammo out there right now.

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
The CZ-52 can be successfully tuned up and made "sweet". I paid more than the going average for mine because of the extra new barrel, wood grips, custom sights and overall condition. Initial results were an indication of a project the former owner gave up on as the gun was simply atrocious to shoot. The infamous trigger slap left me with a sore finger for weeks and the pull was horrendous. While accurate, with the brand new barrel showing much potential for tack driving groups, the gun was just not pleasant to shoot. I got it for the cheap price of the surp ammo. After all, what else can you find with that kind of pop in an inexpensive and available round?
It took considerable work to cure. After a Harrington comp 3 firing pin and plunger, a spare hammer spring and cutting off two loops, much honing and polishing of all internal parts with careful attention to sear and hammer, it is now quite enjoyable. Trigger slap is gone and trigger pull is light, crisp and sweet. Accuracy is astounding with superb groups. The sights still suck and I'm still in search of a suitable adjustable sight set that is going to work for this gun and yield the target sight picture I prefer on all my other handguns. Still a "work in progress" but I'm actually quite pleased with it now.

Remember that the TT-33 was designed and built long before the more powerful loads currently in the surp chain with some of these reaching up into the 1700fps range. They pack some serious poop and I would be leery of severely abusing a TT-33 with large quantities of them. The CZ-52, with the roller bearing system, was designed to handle them.

Good CHEAP fun shooting and ... you can always convert it to 9mm if you want. Worth having one before supply drys up and they become hard to get. Prices have been rising.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,675 Posts
Without, I hope, advocating abuse of any firearm - observation suggests a TT-33 willl stand up to more shooting with hotter ammo (or for that matter - more rounds of "standard" ammo) than a CZ-52 will

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
My CZ52 spends a lot more time in the safe than my Toks do. I enjoy shooting my Toks but I could never warm up to my CZ52...but that's just me

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I'm a great fan of the TT-33. I bought a pair of Chinese Model 213's back in 1992. I shot over 55,000 rounds through one of them without a single FTE or FTF.
When I picked up my Romanian I followed Clark's directions and converted a spare 9mm Tok barrel to fire 9x23 Winchester, the ballistic equivalent to the 357 Magnum. I even reload using the 357 bullets, again at Clark's referral. I can shoot 7.62x25 Tok, 9x19 Luger, 9x23 Winchester, 38 Super, and 9mm Largo through these pistols. I convert once fired 223 brass into 9x23 Winchester, it pretty much just takes cleaning up the primer pocket crimp and trimming the case. The price is less than 2 cents a case, much cheaper than Winchester brass. (2500 once fired cases for $115 delivered). The brass can be reloaded almost indefinitely.

Personally, I highly recommend the Yugo Tok. The safety is the best I've seen on any of the imported Toks. You also get an extra round, 9 round capacity compared to 8 for the rest. CZ-52 mags can be converted to function in the Yugo Tok, per http://forums.gunboards.com/showthr...magazine-option&highlight=cz-52+yugo+magazine .

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.