Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at a type 56 from plant 316 made in 1966 with all matching. I only snapped a few pictures, but it's in very good shape.
The guy is asking $340. My gun fund is pretty dang low at the moment and it would completely tap me out. Saying that, I do not have a type 56 in the safe yet.

So the questions are.......Have I translated the marks correctly and is it a fare price? Also, does anyone know what the small circle pictures is? (Third picture)

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is whole. I wish I had taken more pics. I looked it over pretty well. Wood is in good condition, no rust or putting. Bore is very good. All major parts has matching unforced numbers except I couldn't find a number on the spike mapping me think it doesn't belong to the rifle.

I sused out the characters here. I kept coming up with 316 add the plant.
http://www.mandarintools.com/chardict.html

Here's the internal link for the triangle.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=160986

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've owned a few Yugo's and this is by far in better condition. But, back then I didn't really know how to look for the history.

·
Banned
20,922 Posts
It's a factory /26\, the most common, but generally the most desirable, as it can be dated. The spike is usual for this year, and it should not be numbered.

A /316\ would be one of the later production with a pinned barrel. Yours is a short lug threaded barrel, which is correct.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for the info. If I can, I'll try and get a better picture of the triangle. Is the /26\ a more common one or more desirable?

·
Banned
20,922 Posts
Thank you guys for the info. If I can, I'll try and get a better picture of the triangle. Is the /26\ a more common one or more desirable?

I'm better than I though I was, when I can answer questions before they are even asked! :)

It's a factory /26\, the most common, but generally the most desirable, as it can be dated.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Buy it. That would be a $450 rifle out here. Even the beaters are $300 out here, plus tax.
You could perhaps buy one at auction for about that, but then you'd pay shipping and couldn't actually see it first hand.
The other option is to buy a couple of the Royal Tiger early blade-bayonet "ghost rifles," but there you take your "cracked-stock" chances and may get some seriously worn rifles.
This one looks like a good shooter at a reasonable if not cheapo price and you will be happy.
Also, your wood is much better than what I usually see as the "export" Norincos often came with softer and far less desirable stocks.
(I had one of the $99 Norinco specials back in the day with a stock of fairly green soft wood that needed immediate swapping - the stock looked like a reject from a Chinese furniture factory!)

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
+1. 1966-built Factory 26. I have two Factory 26's, both from 1967.

One is a Vietnam war bringback, unfortunately not in shootable condition. I tried. The barrel is TOTALLY SHOT OUT!!!!!, It is the ORIGINAL sewer pipe, and despite everything being there and all parts (except for the barrel) are in totally acceptable condition, the rifle evidently blows by so badly that it can not work up enough gas port pressure to function. It doesn't appear that this rifle had ever been shellacked.

The other is one of the very earliest Navy Arms imports into the US. Reddish-orange shellacked stock.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,196 Posts
Hate to be disagreeable, but pretty sure the OP's SKS is an arsenal 36. I've enlarged the pic as much as I can, then compared it to the markings on this list from Survivors SKS web site. Compare the Triangle 36 marking on the list to the OP's pic. ( 36 marking is down near the bottom right of the list.)
The 26 marking doesn't match it at all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have played with the picture, cropped amd enhanced to try and get a better look at it. I think this tells it pretty well. What say you?

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,196 Posts
36 it is, at least for my tired old eyes.

I removed the link I posted yesterday, since it wasn't supposed to be copied (fine print I missed). For the list of arsenal markings go to www.sksboards.com
click on the Forums line, then Chinese, then click the link at top of page for the arsenal markings list.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts