Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to identify exactly what a particular rifle is for a client of mine. He has a German Mauser. It is of the "long-stock" variety with the forend extending the whole length of the barrel. The gun appears to be unaltered. It has a "pear" or "tear" shaped bolt. The serial numbers on the barrel, receiver and bolt match. The receiver has the marking "WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER-OBENDORF A/N. It is marked both 7.6 S and U.S. 1906. It has both Crown U and Crown B markings as well. The hinge plate on the bottom is stamped "Germany." The gun is is great shape. You can tell it is old but has very little wear and likely has not been fired much at all. My research thus far indicates that it is likely a Mauser rifle imported into the U.S. in the mid-1920s and that it possibly could be a rare "Special Range Rifle." The gun has with it a scope and a leather case for the scope. There is also a leather gun case that appears to be part of the original package. I have some of the supposed history of the gun. My client was told that it was a special ordered from Mauser. The gun is supposed to have only ever really had two owners, both of which were firearm guys who would have taken good care of it. I will post detailed pictures.
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun
Revolver Trigger Handgun holster
Bumper Auto part Trigger
Gun Rifle Shotgun Trigger Air gun
Gun Shotgun Trigger Air gun Gun barrel
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Gun barrel
Gun Rifle Trigger Firearm Table
Muffler Automotive exhaust
Footwear Shoe
Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Obie Model M

Check out the Obie below...
The action receiver ring/barrel breech areas of the below rifle, identical to yours. Indeed our guns essentially the same except, obviously, the scope. My serial, 875xx, also within a thousand of yours. Not the elusively rare “Range Rifle”.
Ours, Model “M” rifles; full stock, “spoon” bolt handle” (so referred), the model-unique characteristics. Within a group of imports in 30-06, especially for the North American market. U.S. import regulations at the time, requiring new retail trade items as ours, to be marked with nation of origin.
To call any of the Oberndorf Mauser sporting rifles which are original and intact, "uncommon"; so many ‘improvement’ victims over the decades. Rarity now perhaps as much about the “O” factor, as literal model rarity! Bigger tears to see any ultra rare and collectible gun with ‘Bubba art’.
You have a very nice original appearing representation of an “M” Model. Scopes from the factory or ‘appearing such’ liberally sufficient for deeming ‘original’ if proper installation.

Appearing clearly enough with what you have there, to be quite happy.

My take

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Unequaled old world craftsmanship. But something does not look right about the scope mounts. I hadn't seen the bases mounted that way before. Also seems odd that the Mauser banner is obscured. Even if I am right, that is still a beauty. May not be a bad idea to send the photos to Mauser and ask them - they might have old file photos to compare.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.