Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to identify the make/model of an old bolt-action rifle for my father-in-law. It looks very much like the M1938 but doesn't have a fore-stock with bayonet. The fore-stock is shorter and is finished off so it doesn't look like anything was removed. The rear stock has the sling hole. The only identifying marks are three 6-digit numbers on the bolt, magazine and barrel - no other names, numbers, anything. Also, the rear-sight is adjustable with 20 settings, not the 10 that I see on some photos of the 1938. I suspect this gun is a non-military fore-runner to the 1938 but haven't found any photos of them. Photo atatched.

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Jack

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
sporterized 91/30

BAF

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It's tough to say w/o a pic of the sights (front and rear). My guess with the limited info would be a sporterized 91/30. The lack of receiver markings is curious; maybe bubba ground them off when he sporterized it. Also, look carefully for any import marks.. BeSwift

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.