Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been assigned an article on the "ugliest rifle in the world" (grin) and am attempting to locate some quailty photos of soldiers (any nation or time period) armed with the MAS 36. I have found lots of them on the net but most are poor quality.

Can anyone help me? If so please contact me or post them here.

Merci.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a word of warning...the French military archives ECPAD is a pain in the butt to deal with regarding copyrights and charges quite a bit of money to publish photographs, so while you might find something, it might be prohibitive. I just picked up two books recently published in France of combat camera photography from the War in Indochina and Algeria. Quite a few photos but they originate from ECPAD. I'm sure someone will get with you shortly though.

John

·
Registered
718 Posts
Try Imperial War Museum. In "an illustrated guide to rifles and sub-machine guns" published in 1981, Frederic Myatt Has used two pictures coming from this source : a free french on the top of a truck with a MAS 36, showing proudly a small flag of the foreign legion. A french paratrooper at Suez in 1956, just after his landing, holding a MAS 36 CR 39. If I remember well, you know Jean HUON. He has written a book about the french army bolt action rifles. I thiink he has a good collection of pictures of MAS 36.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,104 Posts
Try going through any of the books by Bernard Fall. I just leafed through Hell in a Very Samll Place and found a pic of a para at the point of being shot. Also check Street Without Joy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.