Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I am leaving tomorrow to spend a week in Spain. We will take in the F1 race in Barcelona, then spend a few nights in Zaragoza, then on to San Sebastien, then East through the Pyrenees and back along the Costa Brava. I've been wanting to do this for years. I lived in Zaragoza 1958-1961.
So a friend on this board pointed me to the Eibars Arms Industry Museum in Bilbao. Has anyone here been there? It looks like you have to arrange a guided tour, minimum 18 people, and the hours are very limited.

Any Spain travel tips also appreciated.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Zaragoza to Madrid is aprox 180 miles, Madrid to Toledo is 50 miles ... I would recomend, ( whenever posible ), to visit the "Museo del Ejército", placed in the old Toledo Alcazar.
Toledo was famed for their steel. You can find nice swords just about everywhere as you walk up and down the medieval streets. It is definitely worth a try ...

·
Registered
859 Posts
From Barcelona you are about 150 miles from Andorra, a small indepedent Country located between Spain and France.
Andorra is an interesting place. It lives mainly from the tourism, it is a very nice ski spot but has some other atractions too.
Tobacco products are amazingly cheap and gun laws are not that bad. You can buy any long gun you want without a permit, not even a background check,( yes, foreigners included ), all ammo is freely sold over the counter, ( except pistol ammo ), muzleloaders are also sold freely and pepper sprays are legal for everyone, ( the active ingredient goes up to 90% so that stuff is waaay hotter than anything sold in the USA ). You can buy a special 9 mm ammo loaded with CS that can be shot from any front firing blank gun, and is far more effective than any pepper spray, ( would anybody like to try a hot blast of irritant gas right into your eyes and nostrils ? ).
Another issue is coming back with all that.
The dealers in Andorra might be willing to send it to you whatever by mail, but you will need to deal with ATF once the items arrive to the US, and you will need a FFL to handle the importation tgat usually takes over a month.
Of course you can try to smuggle it through the Spanish border, and you will probably get away with it, ( normaly the Spanish Guardia Civil will not search your car, and unless suspicious they will never search your person. ) Even if your car is searched they will just look a bit in your trunk, but ... good luck when boarding the plane back, airport scanners are a totally different issue ... they will possibly detect everything, and you will have to give a lot of explanations, and very likely be arrested .
Enjoy your trip to Spain :)

·
Registered
859 Posts
Here is the link to the Museum website.
All the info is there.
Once opened, click on "english", on the upper right corner.

http://armia-eibar.eus/info/ordutegia-salneurriak

It seems that the 18 person group only refers to GUIDED visits. However you are free to do your visit at your own and wander around as you please.

If you visit Madrid, there is one Museum that is kinda hidden and "secret". Very few people know about it but it is really worth a visit. It is the " Museo de la Guardia Civil", it is not a common museum opened to the public, since it is located INTO a military "base" of the Guardia Civil actually being used, so you will have to go through the main control door, identify yourself, tell them that you would like to visit the museum, go through security, ( x-ray and metal detector ), and then you will be allowed to enter the military instalation and most likely be accompanied to the door of the building where the museum is.
The museum is located into the "Dirección General de la Guardia Civil. Intervención Central de Armas, 111 Comandancia." Calle Guzmán el Bueno, Madrid.
I know is a bit complicated to actually enter, but normally everybody is allowed a visit, however, very few people know about this museum so most likely you will have the whole museum for your own.
Is an impresive collection of uniforms, firearms and related material that have been used by the Guardia Civil along their history, and also firearms that have been seized or used in crimes. Very good collection of pistols, some of them really rare.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Also ... if you wish to protect yourself, Spain allows everybody over 18 to purchase and carry pepper spray, but must be one of the models sold there, ( a weakened down formula that is more likely to piss of your attacker than actually stop him ... ), anyway ... less is nothing.
You can find those "legal" pepper sprays in any gun shop.

However, Spain is a relatively safe Country, and your biggest concern should be more the "pickpockets" in high crowded areas or the public transportation system.

Don't forget to enjoy the "tapas", that are usually given for free when you order a drink in any of the multiple street bars.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adondebaes,

Andorra is on our route, so I will definitely spend some time shopping there. Interesting that they can be so much freer on guns than other parts of the same country. I wonder why that is? At any rate, I suppose i could have them ship a gun to my FFL in Texas?

We won't make it to Madrid or Toledo this trip. I'll remember those suggestions for the next trip. I do recall the Spanish sword industry from when i was a child. Really cool swords were on display in shops in Zaragoza, so cheap I could have bought them with my paltry allowance. I'd probably have to have that shipped also.

I did wonder about security issues. I've gone around with a pistol in my pocket the last 15 years, so I'll feel naked the whole time ;) What are the laws on knives?

I appreciate the clarification on the Eibar museum.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share!

·
Registered
293 Posts
IIRC, across the river in Toledo is the Artillery Museum(?) which, even though I did not visit, understand is quite good.
Unfortunately the Museum that used to be in Madrid is no longer.Perhaps the Museum at Montjuich in Barcelona is still open.
In A Coruna, in Galicia, the museum there, while small is quite good.
In Madrid, visit Soldiers store, in the University section of town. Nice people and perhaps they can direct you to the museum of the Blue Legion that fought in Russia.
And then there are the ,,,,hidden personal collections,,,some will blow you away, both in working firearms as well as dewats(easier to own then in the USA). For example,,an MP5 in 9mm Largo.

Enjoy and DO NOT try sneak anything illegal back.
Okrana

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What does the Barcelona museum have? I don't know that we will have much extra time there. We do intend to visit the catheral which is very near our hotel. Most of our time there will be at the Catalunya racetrack which is a ways outside of the city.

What's a dewat?

·
Registered
859 Posts
A dewat is a deactivated war trophy, ( ie : non working firearm ).
Regarding the Madrid Museum, it has been moved to Toledo. Now everything is in the Alcazar.
I agree with Okrana : don't even think to sneak anything. It is really a very bad idea.
Regarding the swords and knifes : they can be freely bought everywhere, but not carried about one's person. However, if it's a pocket knife of less than 2 inches it is usually OK. If the police catches you with a knife and is a bit bigger than 2 inches, they will normally just seize it and nothing more, normally not even a fine and definitely not an arrest.
You may carry your swords and knifes back home with you in your checked baggage, no problems at all with that.
I understand that you feel naked without your pistol, it happens the same to me, but you can get in deeep trouble if you try to do so in Spain so believe me ... stick with the Spray.
The guys at the Soldier's shop are great, ask for Alfonso.
The reason why gun laws in Andorra are different is because Andorra is an independent Country, a Country smaller than a US County, but a Country after all.

Have a good trip !

·
Registered
859 Posts
If you go to Andorra bear in mind that Spanish or French Customs will only allow 1 & 1/2 carton of cigarretes per adult.
There are 5 gun shops in Andorra la vella, ( in Catalan "Andorra the old" ), and one more in Pas de la Casa.

- Font del Marge ( Baixada del Molí ), ask for Cristophe.

- Armeria Safari Master ( near the river ), ask for Jose, he is from Eibar.

- Armeria Andorrana, ( pretty close to Sant Hubertus but a bit hidden a couple of streets behind the parking ), ask for Gerard.

Armeria Sant Hubertus, ( Avinguda Meritxell ), can't remember the name of the guy but is worth a visit. Really big place with a good selection of rifles and muzleloading pistols and revolvers, also impressive collection of hunting trophies, even a full size polar bear.

Armeria Dolsa, on a first floor, also in Avinguda Meritxell, very close to Sant Hubertus. Specialized in high quality firearms, they will ship to the US because I have already asked them.

Share some pics with the group ...

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,380 Posts
The "big" Army museum in the Alcazar in Toledo, visited a few years ago, was a colossal disappointment. The restored citadel (it was utterly destroyed in the civil war) is magnificent, but absolutely nothing worth the trip is on display. Apparently everything gathered up from now-closed military museums around Spain was put in storage. One very private museum outside Madrid is of mind-bending quality and puts the Army museum to shame, but unfortunately it is not open to the public.

M

·
Registered
859 Posts
Some pictures of Andorra, not of the commercial zone but of the rest of the Country so you can appreciate it's beauty.
Curious place Andorra : you can buy a shotgun or a rifle over the counter without even a background check, ( and of course also all the ammo that you want ), crime is virtually non existent and there is no gun related violence, ( logically due to the fact that they have such "restrictive" gun laws ), Mosques are not allowed in Andorra's territory and a lot of laws are still from the medieval times.
Taxes are really low, ( for european standards ), an it does not matter wether you are American, European, Indian or Chinese ... to live and work in Andorra you only need a job offer from an Andorran Company. Needless to say that unemployment rate is also 0%.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Some pictures of Andorra, not of the commercial zone but of the rest of the Country so you can appreciate it's beauty.
Curious place Andorra : you can buy a shotgun or a rifle over the counter without even a background check, ( and of course also all the ammo that you want ), crime is virtually non existent and there is no gun related violence, ( logically due to the fact that they have such "restrictive" gun laws ), Mosques are not allowed in Andorra's territory and a lot of laws are still from the medieval times.
Taxes are really low, ( for european standards ), an it does not matter wether you are American, European, Indian or Chinese ... to live and work in Andorra you only need a job offer from an Andorran Company. Needless to say that unemployment rate is also 0%.

Ok, who's hiring in Andorra?:thumbsup: I love my West Virginia mountains, but even better mountains, gun freedom, and low taxes? why not? lol

·
Gold Bullet member
481 Posts
Sorry to interject but......What happened to all of the wonderful pieces that were in the Star factory museum?
The collection was sold to ALFA factory, along with the property and buildings. Some years ago it was sold to the Eibar City Museum. Part of it is on display, vast majority on storage.

The museum didn't want duplicated pieces, and some of these, are on my collection.

Probably lost forever.
Stolen, sold under the table or destroyed.
None of the three, as you can read above.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Glad to know that STAR.
As you undoubtely know if there is something that Spain absolutely loves to do with the guns is ... destroy them.
Fortunately it seems that this time it has not been the case.
Sometime ago I was talking to a guy that was involved in the moving of the Madrid Army's Museum to Toledo and told me that a vast majority of pieces were lost, other just thrown to the trash, ( not only guns but historical items, flags, etc ... ), and yes, a few put into storage.
You know ... Spain is different.
Congratulations for those pieces that ended up in your collection. Are they engraved ones ?, could you share some pics ?
I enclose a pic. of an Astra .25 that was sold in an auction a month ago. Unfortunately I did not get it but at least somebody else did. Otherwise right know it would not exist, ( at least in the form of a pistol, may be "reincarnated" as a fork. )
I also enclose a picture of a nice S&W New Departure that I was lucky enough to get, and God and BATFE willing will be back to the US in July ...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.