Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
The steps to reload for my 38-55 has come upon yet another question. I have some once fired cases that have been cleaned and resized. I always assume that my rifle cases are long and trim them with a Lee case gage and trimmer mounted to a drill chuck. The cases are tight and I have to tighten the rim considerably in order for the gage to bottom out against the cutter. After six cases I wanted to check them in a Wilson case length gage. What I have found so far is that my cases are trimmed to 2.076 and the max trimmed length is 2.085. The case gage does not have a recess in the insert end of it so the rim doesn't fit flush. It is also stepped on the other end. The cases are sized right and all bottom into the gage without an issue. The longest case just breaks the recess but none make it to the over all length of the Wilson gage. My unsized cases size between 2.070 and 2.086. I've reloaded other rifle calibers but never had a Lee sizing gage allow a shorter cut than max length, if I remember correctly. I know I don't want a longer than max length to allow for chamber filling and bolt closing (Win 1894 Lever Rifle) but should I stop cutting my cases shorter than max allowed? Thank you.

·
Registered
14,346 Posts
If you can measure your chamber I would cut sized cases the same length as the chamber to maybe .002 shorter than the chamber.

Cases get shorter when fired, then longer when sized. I like to leave them as long as possible.
So yes I would quit trimming them except

1. Trim when longer than the chamber
2. Trim when the mouth of the case gets crooked and unevenly stretched.
3. If they are shorter than the length of your chamber just let them grow a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.