Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 1943 long Branch Enfield No 4, Mk1 @ the Mesquite, TX Gun Show earlier today. Arriving home, I gave it a thorough cleaning. After reassembly, I closed the bolt, applied the safety then pulled the trigger. I heard and felt 'something' inside the action 'click'. Releasing the safety, the striker dropped to half-cock but would not fire when I pulled the trigger. Concerned, I repeated the process w/the same results. This happened every time I tried. If I close the bolt but do not activate the safety, everything functioned properly when the trigger was pulled. Did I reassemble the trigger/trigger group incorrectly or is there another cause of this malfunction? I also have a No4, Mk 2 but I believe the trigger guard/group may be different. I have not fired it but 9-10 shots and that was several months ago and I have it put away so it is not readily available for comparison. Any suggestions would be graciously appreciated.

·
Registered
14,762 Posts
there are 50 ways to assemble the safety, but only ONE correct way.
Take the bolt out. Now operate the safety. that little stud on the threaded arm should move all the way into the reciever.

Sorry, I don't know how to post pics, but someone should do the honours.

·
Banned
1,737 Posts
The Safety and Mickey Mouse

For those of you who do not know it, Mr. Sukey first studied photography under Matthew Brady and his wooden box camera does not plug into his computer. (Attachment # 1)

When the safety is correctly assembled Mickey’s big hand will be pointing at the 11 and his little hand will be pointing at the 1. (Attachment # 2)

The naming of the parts. (attachment # 3)

When the safety is applied the safety catch extends locking the bolt and the locking bolt rotates 90 degrees and locks the cocking piece. (Attachment # 4)

When the safety is off the safety catch is retracted and the locking bolt is laying flat. (Attachment # 5)

With the safety applied the safety catch locks the bolt closed (Attachment # 6)

Also with the safety applied the cocking piece is prevented from moving forward by the locking bolt. (Attachment # 7)

APPLIED SAFETY (From Précis No. SA/Rifles 1960)

This is a form of safety device which must be applied by hand and operates as follows:

Assuming the action to be cocked, on rotating the bolt locking to the rear forces the safety catch inwards through the medium of the multiple thread. The safety catch engages under the shoulder of the, short cam groove and prevents the bolt lever from being raised. At the same time the half moon end of the bolt locking engages in the front recess of the cocking piece. This action slightly withdraws the cocking piece and striker to the rear, and the face of the cocking piece from the long arm of the sear. The trigger is thus rendered inoperative.

When in the fired position and the bolt locking is rotating to the rear the safety catch does exactly the same action. The half moon of the bolt locking will now engage in the rear recess of the cocking piece and withdraw it slightly to the rear and preventing its being pulled into the cocked position.

The following posting was brought to you by the “NEW” Enfield Digital Generation! (My camera has a green smiley face)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trigger / Safety Concern

Thanks to all who responded. While cleaning the rifle, I did not remove or disassemble the safety. But following your advice, I will examine the safety more closely and see if the previous owner(s) put it back together improperly.
Thanks for the info and the fotos-
Glock357x2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts