Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some better pictures of my triangular Type 53 bayonet for your viewing pleasure.

Any insight concering proper installment (or anything else for that matter) is welcome. I have the the bayonet attached so that when folded, the flat side lays against the wood. I had a 50-50 shot to get it right, and it seems the logical choice.

The bayonet is quite loose when folded, with a lot of up and down play to it (regardless of which rifle it is installed on) and I believe this is due to the fact that the tang is significantly smaller than the attachment channel.

oh, and thanks for the picture tips :)

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
52,651 Posts
Could it be a modified SKS bayo and that's why it's so loose? I just checked a spike SKS bayo to my T53's and it could very easily be made to work, although the channel is just a tad loose, all it would take is a new hole drilled to the proper size and alittle fitting to work. The length is roughly the same as well...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Nope, it's an early Chinese T53 triform bayonet. Got one just like it. Rare find.

·
52,651 Posts
Nope, it's an early Chinese T53 triform bayonet. Got one just like it. Rare find.
I'm sure it came on a T53 but what I'm thinking is whether the Chinese converted SKS bayo's to work on these rifles. I know of no captured T53's from before the SKS era (granted they are rare) that had the tri blade and if you note the following...

The bayonet is quite loose when folded, with a lot of up and down play to it (regardless of which rifle it is installed on) and I believe this is due to the fact that the tang is significantly smaller than the attachment channel.
It act's just like I would expect a converted SKS bayo to behave as well due to the slightly different diameters of the shank. Except for shortening and drilling a proper size hole I bet you could make any spike SKS Bayo look and act just like this. I would be interested in the various dimeters at different points to compare to a Chinese spike bayo to see if this could have some merit.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,237 Posts
Could it be a modified SKS bayo and that's why it's so loose? I just checked a spike SKS bayo to my T53's and it could very easily be made to work, although the channel is just a tad loose, all it would take is a new hole drilled to the proper size and alittle fitting to work. The length is roughly the same as well...
As I posted in Uzi's original bayonet thread:

"I once found a Chicom SKS with an unusual, triangular shaped bayonet very similar to the one shown above. To make an already unusual example more unusual, the SKS had the rivited, sheet metal receiver".

I'll try to find and post some photos.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be interested in the various dimeters at different points to compare to a Chinese spike bayo to see if this could have some merit.

I'm interested to see how this pans out. While to me it appears to be a bayonet original to the Type 53 (because of machining, wear, and I don't think the chinese/vietnamese would take the time or effort to modify an SKS bayonet) it doesn't hurt to check out the dimensions.

Next time I can I'll take some measurements comparing the Type 53, Soviet M44 and Polish M44 bayonet tangs. I don't have a Chinese SKS, so I hope I can count on somebody else to take care of that. It'll be a little while until I can get home to take the measurments, but maybe we can figure this out.

·
52,651 Posts
I got chinese bayo's all over the place :) So I can supply the measurements for them. I'm not saying they aren't original, just that the source of the parts would not surprise me if they weren't sourced from SKS parts...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I finally was able to take the measurments, so here we go:

Bayonet tangs

Soviet

Length: 65.06mm
Height: 12.00mm
Thickness: 8.83mm
Hole size: 6.90mm diameter
Length of flat area: 51.30mm

Chinese 4 sided
Length: 65.30mm
Height: 11.99mm
Thickness: 8.83mm
Hole (oblong): Length: 8.89mm Height: 6.90mm
Flat area: 50.84mm

Chinese 3 Sided
Length: 65.09mm
Height: 11.84mm
Thickness: 7.92mm
Hole (oblong): Length: 8.25mm Height: 6.65mm
Flat area: 59.66mm

The most obvious areas of difference are the smaller thickness and the lack of a shoulder on the 3 edged bayonet. The part that really has me intrigued now is the lack of a shoulder, since this makes it much different than the standard bayonet. If you would be able to post measurements and observations of an SKS bayonet mriddick, that would be awesome.

p.s. I like the new photo system.

·
52,651 Posts
A chinese SKS bayo thickness is .313 which is spot on for 7.92mm, the length, height and flat area measurements are the same as well. The hole is smaller but there's enough metal there to widen the hole to fit the wider T53 screw. Now with the measurements confirming it I really think these were Chinese SKS spike bayos that were pulled from that line and converted for use on T53's, maybe as replacement/spares would be my guess.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmm... that is pretty darn interesting. When I saw the difference between the flat areas (I hadn't laid them all side by side before) I really changed my thinking because of the large difference in design. And the hole on the 3-sided bayonet seems more roughly done than the others, seemingly consistent with a quick fitting/enlarging job.

Is it safe to say that we have taken steps to revise Mosin Nagant history? ;)

·
52,651 Posts
hmm... that is pretty darn interesting. When I saw the difference between the flat areas (I hadn't laid them all side by side before) I really changed my thinking because of the large difference in design. And the hole on the 3-sided bayonet seems more roughly done than the others, seemingly consistent with a quick fitting/enlarging job.

Is it safe to say that we have taken steps to revise Mosin Nagant history? ;)
I think we have revised mosin history with the 3 blade T53 bayo on this thread :) IMO it's pretty clear the bayo is from a SKS line. That is pretty interesting to see how new information comes up on this site.

BTW is there any evidence that the 3 blade could of been chromed at any point in time? Fully finished Chinese SKS bayo's were chromed in issued form, from your pictures I suspect these were culled from production before the chroming process.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No evidence of chroming that I can see, since the wear is very similar to that of the overall carbine. There must have been enough of these replacements to warrant a bluing treatment since there is some remaining on the blade and tang.

Ach... I wish the Chinese kept better records/shared them with us. Of course this wouldn't be nearly as fun then I guess...

Does anybody have a three-sided bayonet with more finish remaining?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts