Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the best thing to apply to leather in good condition is nothing, just proper storage. But I have come into a quantity
of ammo pouches, slings, and holsters that have been poorly stored and have white mold. The leather is still solid
and these items are definitely worth saving.

I am looking for advice on how to kill the mold and what if anything to apply afterwards.

thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Here is some info on mold which may help you. I suspect you also have a lot of green stuff around the brass fittings snaps etc which needs to be address to by leaving the leather out in the sun on a warm day for awhile which loosens up the green crud which than can be easily removed. If left alone the green verdegris will eventually split the leather.
http://luger.gunboards.com/showthread.php?41307-Mold-Problem

·
Registered
608 Posts
denatured alcohol, as little as possible on soft cloth will clean and kill the mildew/mold, allow to air dry for couple days, moisturize with good leather conditioner such as pecards, etc. to clean the green verdigris, a little petroleum jelly/vasoline on cutip, rub on let set one hour, clean off with soft cloth like old tshirt- works great, been using these methods for 30+ years, no leather was dried or harmed

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I'd wipe as much mold off as possible and try exposure to the sun. That should kill the mold. Many leather collectors and museums say avoid using Lexoil, Pecards, or any other treatments on leather other than perhaps Ren Wax.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Runner, the advice from the thread provided by Orcutt is good. Heating the oven to 300 does indeed kill the mold. you just have to remember to turn off the oven LOL. I have used this on numerous items with success and it does not hurt the leather. HOWEVER, make sure it is indeed mold. another condition called fatty bloom looks like mold ! when I placed one holster in a oven, it came back after a month or two. That you need to then treat differently. so try the oven method and if it comes back after a period of time, you got fatty bloom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.