Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that some bringbacks have the duffle cut and some don't. Could you guys list the other ways K98 bringbacks were taken back to the US? I know some K98 rifles were sent to the US by GIs through the mail and this is a reason they didn't have duffle cuts. Did US military officers have a different rule on bringbacks? Like for instance they didn't have to make duffle cuts on the K98s and they could just take it along with them as is?

In the end without original capture papers a "bringback" will always be open to speculation whether or not it is truly a bringback. I also read somewhere that very early K98 imports may not have been import stamped.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,261 Posts
ANy Pre '68 import did not require import markings, In the Pacific Theatre Officers did have differnt priveledges when it came to trophy's, I am told by a frind of mine with an unscrubber Arisaka, that is was "smuggled" along with others that were packed with the officers belongings

·
Registered
19 Posts
2 of mine are..the one, a byf 41, walnut stock...cut IN HALF!!, my other 3 aren't..one being a byf 45 in a kreigsmodell stock..so without the bayo lug, apparently there was no reason..

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
Dufflecuts not specified by regulations; done by GI to fit whatever shipping crate he had. I have seen rifles cut under the band, ahead of / behind the band, thru the wrist, vertical and angled cuts, etc.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think things were much more lax in some theaters and in some branches of the service. One of my uncles flew B-25's in the Pacific. He brought home all sorts of stuff after the war a couple of swords, Nambu pistol, rifle , and didn't have capture papers for any of the stuff.
The last base he was stationed at was in Japan after the surrender. He said he flew back in a C-54 with a bunch of other air crew, he said they had so many souviners and cases of Saki stashed in the plane that he worried about it taking off! :D
I think that officers had a lot easier time bringing just about anything they wanted.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Vet Rifles

I have a CE 1943 all matching, about 70% that was captured by a GI( I have his service record) in early 1945. He was part of a communications unit that drove around setting up loudspeakers to spread disinformation among the Germans. As a motorized unit, all loot was carried in a specified vehicle, and when they returned to NY in the fall of '45 the vehicles went with them. No barracks cut, no capture papers. He also had a killer P-38 but I missed out on that one. Interestly, the rifle was less than 2 years old when he got it, but the finish is thin and smooth. Field use makes guns old in a hurry. RETREAD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts