Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this "last ditch" stock on evilbay for my barreled action project and it has some kanji on it. This is the first part ive ever had with kanji, so Im asking if anyone knows if its authentic, and what does it say? Also was it just the navy that marked their stocks like this or did the army do it too? Please correct me if Im wrong, as Im still learning. Thank you for your assistance.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
First, I want to say that I minored in Japanese in college many years ago, so my accuracy isn't that high.

I read it as 1 Nakayubi. The literal meaning is the Middle Finger. Not sure how it relates to the military and I'm not completely sure if it isn't some sort of joke. It looks more legit than a lot of Kilroy-ese Kanji characters I've seen previously.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Brent, got your pm. The markings does read "middle finger" if read as is, but with any military code markings, this is probably more like an acronym. My one guess could be 第一中隊指導部 which would roughly translate to 1st company commanding headquarters, or somethign like that. Just a guess though.

·
Silver Bullet Member
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both for your help.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Thanks Edokko, for the historical clarification. I didn't want Brent to think he was getting the middle finger from the seller! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts