Gunboards Forums banner

Translation please?

806 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
I've looked over the Russian Sport Shooting(?) text that is somewhere available (can't remember where I got them) in PDF form and there are quite a few Mosin Nagant specific pictures. Sear and trigger work, bedding and such. One area shows the proper stacking of rounds in the magazine and several pictures later this is shown. Is this some type of corrective action for the rimlock issue? I have several extra followers and might give this a try. I'm not ready to hunt and peck till I find just the right text for a Google translation and was hoping one of you more educated could tell me what this says. If the entire text is necessary maybe I can figure out where I got it or e-mail what I've got. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I've looked over the Russian Sport Shooting(?) text that is somewhere available (can't remember where I got them) in PDF form and there are quite a few Mosin Nagant specific pictures. Sear and trigger work, bedding and such. One area shows the proper stacking of rounds in the magazine and several pictures later this is shown. Is this some type of corrective action for the rimlock issue? I have several extra followers and might give this a try. I'm not ready to hunt and peck till I find just the right text for a Google translation and was hoping one of you more educated could tell me what this says. If the entire text is necessary maybe I can figure out where I got it or e-mail what I've got. Thanks in advance.
"Adjustment of follower mechanism for prevention of blocked (literally: "plugged up" ) cartridges."

#4 ·
A slight correction - "Утыкание" means "to jam into", not "plugged up". The translation would be "Adjustment of follower mechanism to prevent cartridges from jamming"

#5 ·
Well, the etymology of Утыкание is caulk: the traditional method was to hammer, or "jam" tow between planks.

Anyhow, the upbend at the rear of the follower raises the rim of the the lower cartridge and presumably holds it tighter against the interrupter.

#8 ·
I think a more productive discussion would be how raising the rear end of the cartridge in the magazine provides more rim clearance.

The interrupter, assuming it is working correctly, stops the lower cartridge at a specific point, and the top cartridge is left to float above it. The upbend at the rear of the follower tilts the cartridge so its bullet is pointing slightly downward, so conceivably the bevel of the cartridge rim presents a shallower angle of contact with the rim of the top cartridge.
I'm posting a reply here to a PM I received from the original poster.
The upbend is at the front of the follower, not the rear as I originally, and mistakenly, interpreted the graphic.

The upbend raises the tip of the cartridge. I"m not sure how this corrects a rim over rim jam. However, it does solve another type of jam problem.

If the bedding of the action results in a significant gap between the receiver and the magazine/trigger guard assembly, the top round's bullet tip will be too low to catch the ramp at the breech and will not chamber.

I had this problem with a 44 VKT M39 in a post-war stock. I corrected it by routing the slots in the bottom of the stock so I could raise the magazine/trigger guard a bit higher and reduce the gap between the magazine and the receiver.

#9 ·
the top round's bullet tip will be too low to catch the ramp at the breech and will not chamber..
This is exactly what the Russian manual calls "утыкание патронов" - jamming into [something]. The rim-over-rim jams are referred to as "неподача патронов" or "задержка".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.