Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had a lot of fun researching this pistol so far. Maybe someone could help me with a few questions.
This is a Tokyo Arsenal Nambu type 14, 5.1 date (1930, Jan) Ser- 9285. Matching except the magazines. One 334 with a To inspection mark. The other with dot, 732 and a N. The 2 is upside down? I know what the dot is. Anyone know what the N is?
. Both firing pins have no serial number. They have a To inspection mark and what Teri’s Nambu world calls a pac man mark. Is this another inspection mark?
The cleaning rod has what looks like a V stamped on it?
The inside Holster flap also has kanji characters but is very hard to see. Did holsters ever have a manufacture mark ?
This rig was tucked away by a family member since before the war ended. It was passed down to me. I always wanted to know what was on the tag that was attached to the shoulder strap. I see on here a few people can read the kanji characters. Maybe someone could be kind enough to translate it.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
One 334 with a To inspection mark. The other with dot said:
Would love to see the magazine with the "TO" as both the Tokyo and Kokubunji arsenals used this mark on their parts and as part of the final inspection marks as well. The "N" on the magazine is from the Kokubunji arsenal who used this mark on parts from Showa 14 though Showa 16.

The cleaning rod has what looks like a V stamped on it?[QUOTE said:
Most likely this is a partial strike of the "N" from Kokubunji arsenal as well.
The cleaning rod has what looks like a V stamped on it?[QUOTE said:
IT looks like the holster is dated Showa 14 and the "TO" mark in this case (if it is Showa 14) would be for the Kokubunji arsenal. But the mark is hard to read.

The encircled "to" mark used on firing pins are also from Kokubunji during the Showa 14-16 periods.

What mark is located on the frame of the pistol in the "B" position (left side of the frame just aft of the grip)?

Most likely this pistol went though the rework for incorporation of the safety block and firing pin changes at Kokubunji but I'm thinking out load here as I don't know what mark is in the “B” position; but with all the Kokubunji marks it would make sense.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seinen, thank you very much for the translation. The circled character looks like the stamped yoshi that's on the C position on the side of the pistol. But upside down?

type-14, Here's some pictures of the mag. There's a cut out on this one that's not on the other. Low front. I think you are right about the V being an N after I looked at it again. It has a vertical leg.
I also added a picture of the B position. "to" mark ?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
The mag with a the cut out is in fact a Kokubunji mag made after incorporation of the magazine retaining spring in the frame (Showa 15.1 and there after). The mag with the TO mark can you proivide a side view photo so we can see the base housing? The "B" position mark the "TO" as well (your photo is upside down) and even with both arsenals using the TO mark with all the other Kokubunji marked parts and such IMHO your pistol was reworked at Kokubunji.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
type-14, Some more pictures of 334 with the " To" stamp and B and C stamps. I'm a little confused with the fireing pin mark. Are you saying the mark in the center of the circle is also a "To" mark?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Your mag 334 is also a Kokubunji mag as well and was produced after 15.1 date. As for the question on the marks, the mag and "B" position marks are inspeciton marks and are called "TO" for Tokyo. The to (lower case) mark (not encircled) was used by Nagoya/Chigusa, Tokyo and Kokubunji during the Showa 2 though 9 periods. While the encircled to was used by Kokubunji during the Showa 14 though 16 periods.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
There are only a couple of current books being published on the Nambu pistols. The most comprehensive one is "Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945 A Revised and Expanded Edition of Hand Cannons of Imperial Japan. By Harry L. Derby III & James D. Brown Runs about $70 and you can find it on the gun auction sites that Jim Brown list. Jim also wrote "A collector Guides to the Japanese Military Handguns 1893-1945 and is soft bound book and runs about $20. It really depends on how much you want to learn and where your interests are at. At the top of this forum is a sticky that list web sites and books, about half way down on that sticky is a listing of other Japanese handgun books that have long been out of print that you can find from time to time on the auction sites and at gun shows.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I was looking at the Derby/Brown book. That looks like the one to start with.
I’ve collected WW2 weapons for years but never picked just one country exclusively. I’m headed in that direction with this pistol and the other Japanese items I inherited.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
arisakadogs, I bet you said to yourself that doesn’t look right. It was a spare Lahti lanyard I had. It was 5mm in dia. Looked good in the case, behind glass. Not sure about the color. I would like to find a good repo. Do you know if the Japanese ever used leather for lanyards?
I noticed on the post of your collection that many of your pistols had lanyards. Are they originals? That's a fantastic collection.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Try macsguns for a good repro lanyard. The japanese issue lanyard is made of braided cotten cord with a stitched leather joiner and leather keeper. Orignial ones will run you $150 or better.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,217 Posts
arisakadogs, I bet you said to yourself that doesn’t look right. It was a spare Lahti lanyard I had. It was 5mm in dia. Looked good in the case, behind glass. Not sure about the color. I would like to find a good repo. Do you know if the Japanese ever used leather for lanyards?
I noticed on the post of your collection that many of your pistols had lanyards. Are they originals? That's a fantastic collection.
Yep, it was the color that didn't look right and I couldn't see the leather joiner or keeper.
Yes, all those in my displays are originals. I have a total of 8, I think. I bought one repro some years back just to have as a reference but I gotta tell ya, with some age it would be hard to tell from an original.
Never heard of any leather lanyards being used by the Japanese.
That's a nice looking rig, BTW :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts