Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for translation of 99 LMG manual. I am particularly interested in tools and the end piece on the cleaning rods. Thanks in advance.

Shannon
Handwriting Font Book Paper Paper product
Font Handwriting Parallel Art Schematic
Font Handwriting Material property Parallel Paper

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Shannon,

Although I cannot translate what you asked for check out this old post that I did some time ago, it shows both the Type-99 LMG cleaning & maintenance kits & explains their usage...

-Rick

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,

Thanks. Great thread. I figured it was a carbon scrapper, still curious what the technical name.

I've never seen a 99 LMG cleaning kit for sale in over 20 years of looking.

Show-and-tell. My two partial parts kits. Photo of two spanner - note difference shapes.

Shannon
Wood Gesture Grey Font Art
Wood Gas Auto part Tool Cylinder

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,281 Posts
I wish my kit had as much as either of those. Still I have the tweezers and the wrench which are handy at the range. The tweezers are great for clearing a stoppage and the wrench is great for keeping the barrel nut tight

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Hey Guys,

These days its a miracle to find any MG kit, never mind a complete one!

Maybe a year or so ago there was a T-99 maintenance kit leather wallet assembly (no pouch) that had most of the parts that Dan Griffin was selling, it sat for a while but eventually it sold for about $1800.00 if I remember right...

Looking at the Japanese maintenance kits and how they are laid out, then add life in the field and the confusion of battle its a recipe for disaster, in all the kits I've accumulated over these past 40 years I think maybe 2 of them were complete, all the others were put together from several incomplete kits...

Nice kits Shannon!

Also, yes the T-99 wrenches vary, I have encountered 3 different types, the two you have shown plus a late war cast iron example shown on the extreme right...

Once in a while loose parts show up on Ebay so keep your eyes out guys, every day the odds reset so you never know what might appear...

Cheers, Rick

Tool Font Wood Hand tool Auto part

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple photos of cleaning kit from the manual. What is the object between the pouches in 2nd photo? Dustcover for magazine?
Book Font Rectangle Music Schematic
Font Rectangle Handwriting Parallel Music
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Paper
Font Material property Paper Document Transparency
Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Paper

·
Registered
143 Posts
Does anybody here have any suggestions for a translation app that works with photos such as these? I have used Google Lens with some small degree of success, but in trying it on these photos it has not been very helpful.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
Rick,
I think I had a look at that kit at a show. The one I saw was missing a part or two. I think one was the spare bolt. If it's the same guy I passed.

·
Registered
8,507 Posts
Hi Ed,

Yes, the missing bolt rings a bell now that you mention it...

It was Dan Griffin & he's also in Pennsylvania so you're probably right on that...

-Rick
Rick,
Yes, that was it. I saw it at the Allentown show. He wouldn't budge from 1750.00 at that time. I couldn't justify that without a bolt. So, I came home with my money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts