Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Dad was in the CBI in WWII. He was an MP and he brought home these souvineers.

The images are clickable thumbnails.
The book he allowed he couldn't really remember where he picked up or if it was Chinese or Japanese.

I'm told this is something like a newsletter supplied to Jap troops. Mostly propaganda and of no military value. I haven't a clue what it says. Anybody read Japanese???

Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thx.:)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
The fellow most likely to help you might be more so inclined if you edited "Jap" on your post. Neat stuff!

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Well, at least he put a period after. Japanese is the operative word.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohhhKay. Excuuuse me. Y'all forgot to mention that the political correctness filter was "on."

Since bowing and scraping and kissing up to the perpetrators of Pearl Harbor seems to be an essential to get a little information around here, feel free to delete this whole topic.

Oh. My ancestry is Croat. But that's "Croatian" to you. :mad:

·
Registered
293 Posts
ohhhKay. Excuuuse me. Y'all forgot to mention that the political correctness filter was "on."

Since bowing and scraping and kissing up to the perpetrators of Pearl Harbor seems to be an essential to get a little information around here, feel free to delete this whole topic.

Oh. My ancestry is Croat. But that's "Croatian" to you. :mad:

Obtuse is, as Obtuse does.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Its not "bowing and scrapeing" to be polite or inoffensive,And Im still known to abbreviate japanese on occassion,especially when writting it on ammo or in a quick correspondence, however several of the members here object to its use HERE due to the derogatory conotation war era,and sense those guys are the ones that read Japanese fluently one might at least try to be courteous and respect their feelings. Asking them to translate something while using a derogative,even unintentionally is like going to your favorite bar and hollering at the black bartender "Hey,N*gger, give me a Jigger",its not likely to insure prompt service. however if one deliberately wishes to be ignorant then so be it,or to paraphrase shakepear "a assh*le by any other name is still an assh*le"

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Revelation here, I'm now one of the "perpetrators of Pearl Harbor" ! Woopee !!
Where do these nutcases crawl out from anyways ?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Revelation here, I'm now one of the "perpetrators of Pearl Harbor" ! Woopee !!
Where do these nutcases crawl out from anyways ?
Comon Okiedokie, we all know that you were one of Yamamoto's closest personal advisors. ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Ahh, but ole' Isoroku kicked me out after they found me passed out drunk and half nekked in the civvy nurses dressing room.

P.S. Good to see that Ben Franklin's immortal words back on your posts.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
It's not so much that we left the "Political Correct" filter on, it's just that you left your "Idiot" filter off.

·
Registered
804 Posts
For what it's worth, I looked at some of his other posts (he had several in other forums about his dad's experiences in the CBI including some interesting photos) and they used the same word. I don't think he meant it in a derogatory sense, but still, the effect is the same. You guys handled the situation well trying to educate him and implicitly give him a second chance, but he obviously is too set in his ways, as evidenced by the poor judgement he displayed in his second post, and the experience probably strengthened his resolve to further entrench himself against what he perceives as political correctness. He is already complaining on another forum about us and even getting some sympathy. I just don't understand the world sometimes; it seems so obvious that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar!

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Well, I tried to hint as nicely as I could. I do know that most folks just use the word unthinkingly (is that a word?). It certainly hasn't had the publicity that other offensive words have had. Cracks me up though, to be accused of being "policically correct"! it's just common sense not to insult someone you're asking a favor of.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Ahh, but ole' Isoroku kicked me out after they found me passed out drunk and half nekked in the civvy nurses dressing room.

P.S. Good to see that Ben Franklin's immortal words back on your posts.
He he - That's good, and I do like that quote :)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok. An apology is due, and I grant it. For the record, I am aware that some consider "Jap" derogatory. I had intended to period the word as an abbreviation as I did in the topic heading. I just bloody forgot it in the text.

But one does not "educate" others with snide sarcasm. My fault, other than a typo, was in responding in kind. I tend to "do unto others as was done unto me."

In my other topics I did, and will continue the short term in general. I also restrict it's use to the soldiers and that government that directly perpetrated and carried out such horrible crimes against humanity.
If any here were soldiers of Hirohito, & Tojo, the name applies. If you were not, then it does not. Neither do I refer to modern Germans as "Krauts" or "Nazis."

On another board I host a Yugo Mauser forum. Should we take offense at the term "Yugo?" "Span Am" is often used to denote Spanish American. Is that offensive too? Then there's Czech, for Czechoslovakian, Slav for Slovak, Yank for Yankee & Reb for rebel... The list is endless.

Again, I'm sorry for giving offense and responding in kind to my reception here.
Moderator, please delete this whole bloody mess.

·
Gold Bullet Member
3,425 Posts
Morning Edokko & Mr. A :
You fellows are devious lil devils !, implying that our venerable Benjamin was a man of the decanter !, our founding fathers were " God fearing men " with enough common sense to appeal to man's baser instincts in such a way as to elevate their actions and responses for nobler pursuits such as patriotism and love of your fellow man.
Yet even as progressive thinkers as they were they still harbored certain institutions which the death of 1/2 million Americans in the Civil War attempted to redress, and the passage of another century and a half have only made a dent upon the ignorant masses.
Unfortunately political correctness as is now understood is a poor excuse and sorry term for the respect of the individual. To treat others as one would like to be treated, the respect that must exist between two armed men if they are to occupy the same space, are all hints that for humanity to get along we have to respect and treat others fair and equal. Drunks and idiots are a menace on the highways and in the discourse of reasonable men.
Now that we know where "krag" is coming from it would be best not carry on other than a civil answer or silence. I believe most fellows here are peacefull and reasonable gun loving people who enjoy their field of action. Because firearms are a form of extreme power in a person's hands, are protected by the constitution thru the second amendment, it tends to draw the good, bad , and ugly of society; therfore we must police ourselves to preserve these gifts from the almighty be they freedom, beer or guns.
So lets us turn the page, raise up our sake cups and have a drink and thank God, Ben, George, Alex, were there to put it all on the line for us all.
Vicasoto

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
I thought apologies were offered not "granted". I'm sure Edokko will be very pleased to know he's not a "Jap" but his dad was. You just don't get it.

Oh brother, Victor is "full of Poop" again ;)

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
A-dawgs, I'm overjoyed, but thats OK, guys like you and all the usual gents here make my day.

Vic will have a big swig out of my Shochu bottle next time we meet in AZ.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Times have changed

This whole thread reminded me of a personal experience I had two years ago. As some of you know I am an active duty USAF NCO (19 yrs) currently stationed in Hawaii. The sense of history here is really intense, with the U.S.S. Missouri/Arizona memorial, the PACAF HQ buildings with bullet holes and bomb fragments still visiable to this day. Add to that my own family's history of service during WWII with several members in the Pacific theater.

I drive through Pearl Harbor 4 times or more a week and one time my son and I were up by the main channel when we saw a group of Japanese Defense Force boats come through the harbor. They included three destroyers and two cruisers. Over the week they were here we saw many Japanese sailors on shore leave in Pearl Harbor/Honolulu enjoying themselves.

I remember thinking that many WWII veterans would have a major issue with this. Many of the elder members of my family still hated the Japanese for the attack and the war. My grandfather especially didn't like them due to his personal experiences at places like Guaduacanal, Tulugi, the Marshall islands, and the later Kamakazii attacks of the late war.

I had a chance later on that year to have a few beers with some Japanese sailors at the enlisted club at Pearl Harbor and really enjoyed the talks we had. One sailor mentioned that there still is a bit of shame over the Pearl Harbor attack and the following war although his generation had absolutly nothing to do with this. His grandfather served in the IJN during the war and managed to survive the war. Who would have thought that 60+ years later two grandsons were sharing cold beers, swapping stories of family and service, and enjoying each others company at this historic base!

I shared this experience with Grandpa before he died last year and he told me that it was great that times had changed and that we were allies today. 60 years in the past and it wouldn't have been a much different encounter.

One intersting note is that any Japanese boat must go through a side channel to dock instead of going past the U.S.S. Arizona to render a all hands salute to the memorial like U.S. boats do. We did witness one cruiser fire a salute from the forward gun as a sign of respect.

I guess my point to this whole story is that you can't hold the current generation accountable for something that their grandfathers did. One common thing here is that there were normal men on all sides that answered the call of duty and served their country (not counting the war criminals and attrocities committed on all sides). Bravery knows no race or color, but is common among all people.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Who would have thought that 60+ years later two grandsons were sharing cold beers, swapping stories of family and service, and enjoying each others company at this historic base!
A good point, and reminds me of something maybe even more interesting; that relationship (friendship) that developed between Greg Boyington and the young pilot that was credited with shooting him down, Masajiro Kawato if I remember correctly. Met the two of them in Watsonville back in 1980 - there was never any animosity - it was two warriors doing what they had to do.

Back to the thread though, I'm interested in the translation of the docs., any takers??

1 - 20 of 42 Posts