Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Charlie's Wilson War today.
There is a part where Tom Hanks,(Charlie Wilson), is talking with the guys in the CIA.
The CIA agent,( Philip Seymour Hoffman), tells charlie that the Afghans needs to start a basic fundemetal training program. The afghans need to learn how to fight with AKs/RPGs/mines/mortar/radio and other heavy equipment.
This way the afghans will have a better chance of fighting against the russians.
Later in the movie the afghans start to get wins.

My question is, does anyone know how we, America, trained afghans to fight with AKs?
What basic combat training did we teach them?
Is there any books on the subject?

Thanks,
Proshot

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Well, there's the book that the movie was based on, written by George Crile. There's also one written by Steve Coll called "Ghost Wars" that I believe details the CIAs activities in that region during the cold war.

That's just a couple off the top of my head, let me think about it some more and I might have others to add.

I think the book Charlie Wilson's War says Bo Grites was involved in training some muj in Nevada.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
I'm going to look into those books.

Thanks,
Proshot
There was a book called,"The beat went over the mountain" which details the Soviet involvement in A. The author, I believe, wrote another book on the Mujihadeen's war against the Soviets.

Check out both books.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
I'm going to look into those books.

Thanks,
Proshot
There was a book called,"The bear went over the mountain" which details the Soviet involvement in A. The author, I believe, wrote another book on the Mujihadeen's war against the Soviets.

Check out both books.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There was a book called,"The bear went over the mountain" which details the Soviet involvement in A. The author, I believe, wrote another book on the Mujihadeen's war against the Soviets.

Check out both books.
the second book is called Afghan guerilla warfare by Lester Grau and Ali Jalali, both books are big on tactical scenarios and interesting to read and well worth getting IMO if deploying operationally to A'stan

charlie wilsons war is a good read but not big on details of training &tactics etc

stumbling bear by scott McMichael is a good read on russian military performance in A'stan

taliban by Ahmed Rashid is heavy going, interesting in places and I never finished it

hope this helps

regards

richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.