Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:
Can anyone help with translations of the stock markings on this trainer?

I have also attached pictures of the top of the receiver and the cleaning rod. Unless my aging eyes deceive me, the receiver looks like it never had any markings. Or does it look ground?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Kanji in circular brand translates "Education", while that in the rectangular brand reads "Shooting of Real Ammunition is Prohibited." These are typical of some Naval-marked trainers, although yours doesn't appear to have had an anchor applied to the receiver. The spike-type cleaning rod is also typical of these trainers.

C/

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kanji in circular brand translates "Education", while that in the rectangular brand reads "Shooting of Real Ammunition is Prohibited." These are typical of some Naval-marked trainers, although yours doesn't appear to have had an anchor applied to the receiver. The spike-type cleaning rod is also typical of these trainers.

C/
Thank you. Does the receiver appear to have never had markings on top or does it appear ground? Also, is there a good reference book with details on trainers? I have MROJ but would like to find more information.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Thanks for the additional photo. There would have been no receiver anchor on this variant, which was made by the Heirinkan Firearms KK, a major manufacturer of the Japanese Type 99 Naval Special rifles. If you check underneath the stock pistol grip area, you'll see a boxed "東", which was an inspection marking of this company. The marking may be faint.

C/

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the additional photo. There would have been no receiver anchor on this variant, which was made by the Heirinkan Firearms KK, a major manufacturer of the Japanese Type 99 Naval Special rifles. If you check underneath the stock pistol grip area, you'll see a boxed "東", which was an inspection marking of this company. The marking may be faint.

C/
Thank you again seinen! Have you thought about making a sticky or even publishing the information that you have on trainers?

As to this specific rifle, I will check the stock. Is it correct that it does not have any insignia or arsenal marking on the top of the receiver?

And does the trapezoidal (or square) shape next to the serial number on the receiver provide the guidance for the name of the manufacturer or does it represent something else?

Finally, is this a rare variant trainer? I gather from my reading on forums and other web sites that trainers don't seem as popular as the standard Type 38 and 99 rifles that can be fired. I find them fascinating though.

I appreciate your help in educating me (and others) about trainers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.