Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke own & bought one. Its a terrible marketplace, mostly Chinese & 300 brands from 3 manufacturers. All co-branded.
I settled on a "Victure Trail Camera NC600"
(There's a 300 which is cheaper, this was my original choice, But the 600 has better operating software, higher resolution for both stills & video & a higher frame rate for video.) IMO well worth the extra $20 or so.
My goal was a functional unit doing stills & video, Day or night. Audio is iffy with all of them because of the need to enclose so I didn't worry about that & frankly I don't think I'm missing much if its not good.
Its use is to monitor or back yard to see what will be munching on the veggies.
After reading a bunch of reviews & customer comments I revised my ideas slightly & found what I think is a nice acceptable quality unit without breaking the bank.
Many have no viewfinders! Be warned, you'll have to buy a separate viewer, then open the case, remove the flashcard & put it in the viewer, guess the changes to view angle & step & repeat till you're satisfied.
Others open to reveal an LCD screen inside, but you've swung the lens off to access it, so you still have to do the "dot & carry one" method.
This one has a clever idea, the LCD is inside, but at the front & the bottom half ONLY opens, so the lens is live in setup mode. You simply angle the camera & lock it in place & you're done.
The camera triggered well in both video & still mode, day & night, but you'll need to mess with the scan settings to get it "just right" for you.
Its lockable, to secure the memory card (a popular item to steal) & securable with a (not included) cable lock.
My only gripe is the taking lens, although behind a glass window to waterproof it, isn't shielded in any way from raindrops sitting on it which degrade image quality a little in heavy rain.
It has "no visible light" infrared bulbs to not spook game & works well out to the 75' distance I needed at night, in daylight of course its range is infinite.
Specs here:

item
settings available
my default.( BOLDFACE)
notes
Mode​
photo
video​
Photo & video​
Image resolution​
12Mp​
16Mp​
20Mp
Capture series​
one​
two​
three
Video res​
1080P
720P​
VGA​
Video length​
30 sec​
1 min
2 min​
3 min​
5 min​
10 min​
PIR interval​
2 sec​
5 sec​
10 sec​
15 sec​
30 sec
1 min​
2 min​
5 min​
10 min​
15 min​
30 min​
PIR sensitivity​
Low​
Med​
High
I.R. Brightness​
Economy (low)​
Normal​
Highlight
Date Format​
YYYY-MM-DD​
MM-DD-YYYY​
DD-MM-YYYY
System Time​
set​
Time Lapse​
OFF
ON​
Timer Setting​
OFF
ON​
Camera Name​
OFF
ON​
Stamp​
NO​
YES
Language​
English
French​
German​
Spanish​
Italian​
Chinese?​
Japanese?​
Temperature unit​
℃​
Password​
OFF
ON​
FORMAT​
NO
YES​
Default (reset to factory)​
NO
YES​
Firmware​
Version
Update​
V2.1,0.4-B

My chosen default settings are BOLDFACED
Digital camera Camera accessory Gadget Font Camera

Daylight:
Plant People in nature Land lot Grass Tree

Water Bird Plant Tree Asphalt

·
Platinum Bullet Member
63,969 Posts
4-5 yrs ago I bought the cheapest camera Cabela's had,
still have it but rarely use them lately,

it was quite sensitive and at a good distance,

I'll try to remember to post up some pics I got off it at night and day,

·
Silver Bullet member
55,438 Posts
I finally broke own & bought one. Its a terrible marketplace, mostly Chinese & 300 brands from 3 manufacturers. All co-branded.
I settled on a "Victure Trail Camera NC600"
(There's a 300 which is cheaper, this was my original choice, But the 600 has better operating software, higher resolution for both stills & video & a higher frame rate for video.) IMO well worth the extra $20 or so.
My goal was a functional unit doing stills & video, Day or night. Audio is iffy with all of them because of the need to enclose so I didn't worry about that & frankly I don't think I'm missing much if its not good.
Its use is to monitor or back yard to see what will be munching on the veggies.
After reading a bunch of reviews & customer comments I revised my ideas slightly & found what I think is a nice acceptable quality unit without breaking the bank.
Many have no viewfinders! Be warned, you'll have to buy a separate viewer, then open the case, remove the flashcard & put it in the viewer, guess the changes to view angle & step & repeat till you're satisfied.
Others open to reveal an LCD screen inside, but you've swung the lens off to access it, so you still have to do the "dot & carry one" method.
This one has a clever idea, the LCD is inside, but at the front & the bottom half ONLY opens, so the lens is live in setup mode. You simply angle the camera & lock it in place & you're done.
The camera triggered well in both video & still mode, day & night, but you'll need to mess with the scan settings to get it "just right" for you.
Its lockable, to secure the memory card (a popular item to steal) & securable with a (not included) cable lock.
My only gripe is the taking lens, although behind a glass window to waterproof it, isn't shielded in any way from raindrops sitting on it which degrade image quality a little in heavy rain.
It has "no visible light" infrared bulbs to not spook game & works well out to the 75' distance I needed at night, in daylight of course its range is infinite.
Specs here:

item
settings available
my default.( BOLDFACE)
notes
Mode​
photo
video​
Photo & video​
Image resolution​
12Mp​
16Mp​
20Mp
Capture series​
one​
two​
three
Video res​
1080P
720P​
VGA​
Video length​
30 sec​
1 min
2 min​
3 min​
5 min​
10 min​
PIR interval​
2 sec​
5 sec​
10 sec​
15 sec​
30 sec
1 min​
2 min​
5 min​
10 min​
15 min​
30 min​
PIR sensitivity​
Low​
Med​
High
I.R. Brightness​
Economy (low)​
Normal​
Highlight
Date Format​
YYYY-MM-DD​
MM-DD-YYYY​
DD-MM-YYYY
System Time​
set​
Time Lapse​
OFF
ON​
Timer Setting​
OFF
ON​
Camera Name​
OFF
ON​
Stamp​
NO​
YES
Language​
English
French​
German​
Spanish​
Italian​
Chinese?​
Japanese?​
Temperature unit​
℃​
Password​
OFF
ON​
FORMAT​
NO
YES​
Default (reset to factory)​
NO
YES​
Firmware​
Version
Update​
V2.1,0.4-B

My chosen default settings are BOLDFACED
View attachment 3960222

Daylight:
View attachment 3960223

View attachment 3960224
doesn't cut the "glar"e on those legs' day or night! haa
good quality your legs in both phots could be id.<><

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I keep one off and on in the woods behind my house. The deer seem to be able to see the infrared flash at night and freeze or come over to sniff the camera. It was a gift but I think it came from Cabelas, works great.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
I got one. Brand name forgotten. As you can see, even on the better models, night time images are a disappointment. All I got was poor quality images of animals I already knew were there. No surprises. Daytime pics are ok. The batteries leaked and trashed the unit! Thats on me. I forgot to take them out. On balance a fun toy and I am sure I expected too much.

I did get pics of myself. Another appointment.

·
Registered
18,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I keep one off and on in the woods behind my house. The deer seem to be able to see the infrared flash at night and freeze or come over to sniff the camera. It was a gift but I think it came from Cabelas, works great.
There are 2 kinds (at least) of infrared flash LEDs.
Low light & No light.
I'm guessing yours had the Low Light type maybe?
A couple of the reviews I read made reference to certain animals being attracted to low flash & in fact "playing with the cameras trying to pull them down even". Raccoons were one mentioned.
Another No-n o is handling them, particularly if you've been handling any kind of bait food. There were several incidents of cameras getting shewed on by critters because of the scent left.
This one I can't see a flash or even a blink. Its not a case of eye sensitivity but poor frequency control in the IR LED's allowing a spill over into the red visible.
I wasn't really expecting much, it was just a test drive for which settings worked best & the range of the I.R illumination out to the required 70+ feet.
I think once I actually get some kind of crop planted it may begin to ramp up.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I bought a Moultrie game cam some years ago. Put it out at my deer stand a few times, but was afraid it would get stolen so I took it down. Used it around the house for security for a time, but since I installed our closed circuit cameras, the game cam doesn't get used anymore. Was a pain having to remove the Sim card and download it to the computer. My new cameras have an App so it's as easy as pushing a button now.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
10,368 Posts
I've been using the Big 5 el-cheapo stealth cams at my water hole. They last about two years. Day and night photos seem comparable to what's shown in this thread. But of course they're out in the desert exposed to temperature extremes and take on average about 3000 pictures a month, mostly birds. No viewer. But I don't mind pulling the card and spending part of an evening going through what's on them; it's kind of become a ritual.
Plant Window Elephant Building Working animal
Window Black-and-white Tints and shades Flash photography Event
Building Wood Window Grass Tints and shades

·
Registered
18,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATED:
Camera flattened 8X fresh good quality "AA" batteries while turned "OFF"!
Hmmmm, be advised those "batteries last 6 months" claims can't possibly be true.

·
Administrator
18,861 Posts
Maybe you had a short or an open switch somewhere. I can't see how new batteries drained when the camera was off. Try getting rechargeable batteries such as the Panasonic Eneloops. They have a different chemical composition than alkaline batteries so they should last longer, and when they do die they don't leak acid all over your electronics.

Reactions: plonker

·
Registered
18,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Possibly.
The LCD showed a shut down message & went blank, the LED "trigger" indicator for the IR/Motion sensor shut down & the switch was definitely in the "OFF" position. A lot of electronics today are never truly "OFF" they just go into a low power consumption "hibernation mode" for things like time/date clocks auto daylight savings changes & other "maintenance features" & so on keep running. My phone periodically "wakes up from "OFF" to ringtone me for some incoming things for example.
They specifically recommend against rechargeable batteries or I would have! Apparently the lower operating voltage is read as a "bad battery"!
There's a 12v coax input socket that's waterproof so I'll probably just go with a wall wart as its only going to be used close to our rear door.
I put fresh batteries in & its now outside & running, we'll see what happens then.
I have serious doubts about the claimed 6 month battery life when its OFF, if its longer when its ON Its gong back as defective.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I use a bunch of cameras from Stealth Cam, Moultrie, and Bushnell and most are more than adequate. The only brand I’ve had multiple issues with different models is “Wildgame”.

Using higher resolution settings, the video option, and multiple bursts, will deplete batteries quickly.

Most of the cameras I have are older 4-6 years and still function as intended. Newer features on updated models like wifi and cell signals that text you a photo real time are intriguing, but I havent tried those yet.

You can get SD card devices that plug into your iPhone or smart phone and allow you to view your pics. I usually just swap in a second card and take the old one with me and just keep swapping them.

Here‘s a gem from 2016 taken at night from a very basic no frills Stealth Cam that answers the age old question:

Black Flash photography Style Black-and-white Font

Yes, a bear $hits in the woods.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts