Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six months ago, I was given a martini in 450 no1 carbine I've been trying it with black powder. But I've been looking for a smokeless powder load had just got my hands on a tin of Trail Boss and I'm having very good success with this powder 10g of Trail Boss gives me 990fps with 340g lead bullet with no high-pressure signs I don't know what the maximum velocity of the 450 no1 carbine was but i think this load is vere light I found Trail Boss fills the case and leaves very little air spice has anyone else tried this powder im going to try 12g and then 14g and see how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
3,866 Posts
Keep us posted on this I have a rifle and a half in this caliber.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like a good choice to me. I like it for loads to be used in my antique/replica arms, especially if I'm using a progressive machine. I get a good deal of peace-of-mind knowing that it'd be almost impossible to miss a potential overcharge situation, especially when the ammo's for an original piece. Even though I'm a careful and systematic handloader, I was always just a little 'apprehensive' with most any other smokeless loads in them. I've seen and heard of too many 'spontaneous disassemblies' not to be.

FWIW, it might be worth your while to contact Hodgdon's directly. They could have data and/or tech info that'd be useful to you. Who knows? They may've done some lab testing or load research with it in .450/.577 that hasn't been published yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I finally had the opportunity to get to the range and test the load's for my 450 No.1 carbine the loads I tested were 12g and 14g of Trail Boss with the lee 340g projectile 457-340-F.
12g gave me 1074fps and 14g 1100 still no sign of pressure but 14 grains seem to be load I'm going to use. You could probably go a bit more but it is a black powder firearm. That's is over a hundred-years-old so I didn't want to push my luck. If anyone else is going to use Trail Boss start at 10 grains and work your way up. And if you have a chronograph use that. My martini has a very short barrel so you should get more velocity than I am getting
And check for signs high-pressure.
The other problem I had was loading dies but I found that 6.5x55 full-length sizing dies was just the right size for the neck. But you had to be careful that you didn't push the shoulder back as you sizing the neck I used to 45-70 die and drilled out the neck expand a so I could expand the neck and flare the mouth and I did the same thing with the bullets seating die my next task is to load up five or six rounds and see how well thay shoot on a target. But that's for after Christmas
merry Christmas to everybody and a happy new year

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi guy's
I was givin some Trail Boss data
27 grn TB 465 dia 480 grn bullet
26 grn TB 465 dia 500 grn bullet
CBC Brass

What do you guy's think?
Cheers

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
I have called about several BP cartridges that I wanted to reload with TB. If they have not tested the cartridge (which in my case has been always) they suggest:
1) placing a fired primer in a case,
2) position the bullet you plan on using along side the case and marking how deep it will be seated,
3) fill the case with TB up to that mark
4) weigh the change
5) start load development at 60% of the volume

Other "experts" have told me to fill the case and be happy. I'm sorry, a 577-450 full of a smokeless powder does not make me happy.

·
Super Moderator
3,866 Posts
There has been some warning about using Trail Boss in large volume cases such as the 577/450.

Peronally I just don't see the need for anything other than blackpowder. It is so much cleaner and easier to work with.

None the less when I get back to America I am going to try some Trail Boss in my 1 1/2" Carbine.

·
Copper Bullet member
12 Posts
Trail Boss Starting and Max load calculation

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf
This link takes you to the Hogdon site.
I paraphrase what is there:
1 Put bullet to be used into case to correct OAL and mark where bullet base falls. Remove bullet and fill case to line with Trail Boss and weigh Trail Boss. This is Max Charge for this bullet/case combo
2 Multiply weight acquired in step 1 and multiply by .7 (take 70% of max load). This is the starting load for the bullet/case combo. This should be a sticky as it is universal.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hi guy's
I was givin some Trail Boss data
27 grn TB 465 dia 480 grn bullet
26 grn TB 465 dia 500 grn bullet
CBC Brass

What do you guy's think?
Cheers
I too got that data,my advice is not to youse it,I tryed and fist shot casse stuck solid,had to be removed with a rod,thinking this may have been the rifle i tryed it inanother MH same result,I did some expermenting and found after 18gr you start to get stuck casses in 577-450,in the No 1 caebine it should work very well up to 16gr ,14 would be better

·
Super Moderator
3,866 Posts
See the pressures- pretty high for the velocities achieved.

CIP max working pressure for the 577/450 is 1750 Bar which is just over 25000 PSI.

I would be very careful with this powder in any of the old Martini's.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Trapdoor man, while that might work in the likes of a 45-70 or .45 long colt, chances are you'll have a serious overload in that cavernous 577-450 case (never mind some of the bigger express cases) - dangerous, don't even try it! I do doubt they even took into account those big brit cases when developing their loads and load techniques...
Case capacity isn't that good an indicator of acceptable loads - at least not when the case is BIG and admissible pressures pretty low, like in BP rifles.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Trail Boss was developed with cowboy shooting in mind and works best in pistol caliber cases. It also has arepution for sudden extreme pressure spikes once you get outside its designed operating pressure range. I thought about it for a short while but decided the risks far outweighed the benefits. JMO

·
Registered
573 Posts
wile TB works very well for other low volicity cast loads( I have had exceptinal results in 303 british with 9 to 11grs)and seen it work well in the 43 mauser somthing strange and potentily dangours seems to hapen when it is put in high volume casses,fillers may change this (for the beter or worse)but i am not willing to take the risk,but in small capacity casses lick the No 1 carbine it has defent potental and 4.5gr works very well in the 310 cadet

1 - 14 of 14 Posts