Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We touched on this in another thread.
There appears to be an error in Don's excellent book on the T-99 rifle. On page 89 he first says the initial rifles in the 30th series were matched by an assembly number (which is correct). But the text then says the change to using the last three digits of the serial number occured in the 30K range of the 31st series. This is where the error occurs.
MROJ 5th edition shows the change in numbering occuring with 17263 as the highest rifle matched by assembly number and 27438 as the lowest rifle matched by the last three digits of the serial number.
I have #28166 and it is matched by the assembly number - so that raises the high number quite a bit and "overlaps" the low for serial number matching. I also have #49352 and it's matched by the last three digits which is to be expected.
Anyway, the change in numbering occurs in the 30th series, not the 31st.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,721 Posts
My TK series 30 Sn# 37733 is matched by assembly number as well.....bumps the high number even higher?
Yes, it does. I will revise the references in the T 99 book, it looks like I made a mistake in going with the 31st, cause all my notes and references indicate the 30th. I'd blame the typist for a typo, but I did the typing too.:(

So somewhere in the 30k to 40k range in the 30th,closer to 40k based on the 37733 SN above, TK changed from assembly number matching to the last 3 digits of the serial number.

I also note that the assembly number was stamped on the rear edge of the bayonet lug; but when the change was made to the last 3 digits of the serial number, there is no number stamped on the bayonet lug.

Please change/edit your books accordingly; sorry for the confusion caused by my error.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also note that the assembly number was stamped on the rear edge of the bayonet lug; but when the change was made to the last 3 digits of the serial number, there is no number stamped on the bayonet lug.
It seems that T-K and Kokura made sure there was at least one external number, other than the bolt, showing the assembly number on their early rifles. For T-K, it was on the rear edge of the bayonet lug and for the early Kokura it was on the bottom of the bolt catch

·
Silver Bullet member
15,721 Posts
Thanks Dogs.

I'm weak in early Kokura examples, but in checking my 20th number 62,766 if find the assembly number is on the bottom of the release and on the rear edge of the extractor; last 3 of the serial number is on the bolt root.

Interesting how the matching regimen changed in early production.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.