Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked this up from a buddy this weekend. I was down to 0 Japanese rifles again (seems like they always end up as trade fodder for German stuff...) so I wanted to pick up a nice Type 99 for a while. My buddy had this for a few weeks, and had it at a small show I was helping him at this weekend, and I decided to grab it. He didn't give it to me, and I didn't steal it, I paid him $400, but I thought it might be worth it...

Its a Toyo Kogyo 31st Series...all matching, but there is no number on the nosecap. Looking at it, it appears to me the screws have been out, the stakes seem intact....if I am correct I should not touch them, right? I usually like to carefully take down completely all my rifles to inspect and clean...but I would guess do not disturb an unmessed with staked rifle...

Anoither interesting point, I did a search for 31st series T-K's and saw a thread about the Hiro proof in front of the series mark instead of behind the arsenal mark...this is a 42k block which IIRC is pretty high to have this mark in this position.

Also, it did not have a dustcover, can I assume a 31st series should have one? If so, that is the only thing missing, as it has a cleaning rod too. It appears to be completely unmessed with, and the stock appears untouched too...

Did I overpay a little on this, or did I do OK? I do like the look of this one....now maybe I'll pick up a last ditch...and maybe a transitional..."slap, slap, slap" No, you don't need another collecting tangent!

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
15,653 Posts
Nice looking rifle, price about right, IMO.

On the Hiro in front of the serial, in the thread requesting data on this the following were reported:
3k serial yes
26k yes
31k no
54k no

your 42k serial indicates a period of partial use, at least up to your 42k.

Additional data from other examples would be nice.

Yes, it would have been produced with a dust cover.

My recent acquistion, 52060 has the hiro to the far right next to the ejector housing.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,653 Posts
I dont think TK numbered the bayonet lug at this point of production
Mike is correct, I don't think so either; but then I'd have to look at some rifles or check the "book".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts