Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few 75 &100 rd. back loaders for my AK's and always thought they were very heavy & cumbersome and unless I is in a defensive position of little use, but were always easy to load, never jammed and could stay loaded (spring under tension) forever.

Always wanted some high caps for my AR's but the most reliable one is the Chinese 120 rd. one and these are hard to find and about $500. did lot of research over the yrs. on the Surefire 60 & 100 rds. but reviews are very mixed and in general not very good.

The Beta 100 rd. AR drum mags have been found to be unreliable and useless over the yrs. and these go for about $200.+ P mags also does make 60 round drums for about $100. and these are very hard to load and not the best in quality and there are 60 rd. X mags which have great reviews but these are about $260.

Last yr. found out about Torkmags which come in 35 or 50 rds. and the 50's are about $35. all reviews on the Gen. 1's were great and no complaints about feeding till many had after a couple of thousand rds. the mags split at the Seams, so Torkmag redesigned the shell and came out with Gen. 2 and after the Gen. 2's have been out for over 1 yr. none have split.

They now have ribs in front & back and seem well made but after 30 rds. loading was getting a little hard so I took a Clothes pin and separated the 2 wooden pieces from spring and used 1 piece.

Took the mag while sitting and holding it with my knees and using the clothes pin (held it flat) pushed the cartridges down between the feed lips and slipped the next 1 in which was very easy to do and got it loaded in no time.

Shooting had Zero probs and I do like the function of the Mags and am glad I got them!

A reg AR 30 rd. mag is 7" and the 50 rd. Torkmag is 11" so 4 " longer and I will say while shooting bench rest 1 does not have to bend over but if running and shooting like in a drill or so the mag does take some getting used to since the extra 4' inches and not to mention the weight and throwing the weapon out of the balance I was used to.

But for the $ a good deal!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/07/07/second-chance-review-torkmag-35-50-round-magazines/

Thoughts & Opinions?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,092 Posts
no experience with them, and likely will not buy one,

I do have a vintage 50rnd mag, made for some SF types back in the 60's or early 70's

cannot find the pics I have of it,,,, will have to take some more

·
Registered
7,650 Posts
The Beta 100 rd. AR drum mags have been found to be unreliable and useless over the yrs. and these go for about $200.+ .......................Took the mag while sitting and holding it with my knees and using the clothes pin (held it flat) pushed the cartridges down between the feed lips and slipped the next 1 in which was very easy to do and got it loaded in no time.

Thoughts & Opinions?

I don't know where you came up with the notion that "AR drum mags have been found to be unreliable and useless over the yrs.". I have the BETA drums (the real ones not t the Korean knock off) for my AR, HK 53 (5.56mm) MP5 (9mm) for well over 15 years and have put thousand and thousand and thousands of rounds from them without a single malfunction from any of them. they all work just perfectly like when I first got them.

I also bought the SUREFIRE 60 round mag 3 years ago and put a couple thousands of rounds through it, without any issue.

as for loading mags, if loading a mag with a cloths pin works for you, knock yourself out. I prefer to load them from stripper clips and use a stripper clip loader

as for that 50 rd mag on the website, yeah you can have that, a mag that long just looks stupid.

the thing that gets me is why they didn't even notch that for a stripper clip loader. Pmags 40 rounders are competitively price with that 35 round mag, it's 5 round more and notched for a stripper clip loader. just doesn't make any sense to buy one that has less capacity for the same price as the Pmag.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Torkmags "CANT" be loaded with stripper Clips, the Beta Mags were found to be unreliable for Combat by many Militaries all over the world even the US. Ask yourself why would a mag need to be lubricated with graphite powder? Beta Mags are Ok for range use, Surefire mags depending which version u get may work, they did in a 2 yr. period 4 types of improvements.

The 50 Rd X-mag has the best rep. but at $260. it is way to high.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But the Beta mags could not cut it with the Armies! Remember the Nut in the Aurora Movie shooting it sure was good his Beta Mag on his AR locked up and failed right away or it would have been much worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.