Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After three short range sessions to settle the sights, I took the CMP Garand I got in January to the range for the first time for long shooting, with my friend as spotter. 38 degrees, light wind, 100 meters, no sling, but with my elbows on the bench. I shot 6 clips of 70's HXP.

The Garand is service grade, probable Greek return, December '42 SA receiver, SA -18 bolt, 12/54 SA barrel (1+/2+), HRA everything else.

A few rounds of fussing with scopework to find the strikes. I settled on 7 clicks of elevation, 150 yards indicated. I changed my sight picture half way thorough, setting the front sight squarely within the peep, the outward curving sight guard wings touching the peep at 10 and 2 o'clock, leaving the blade in the middle of the circle. This seemed to feel more natural. It seemed that the 7 clicks were a little high and the 6 clicks a little low.

A little more practice is needed to settle the sight picture, then shooting without the bench, but it's good for starters.

PM

· Registered
281 Posts
I find a little bit of a flat tire is a nice hold for the Garand especially in standing. HXP is good ammo for surplus. In a pinch I will shoot it in the CMP matches. I run the rounds through a seating die to get them all the same length and break the seal on the bullet.

· Registered
281 Posts
'Flat tire' is when you push the front sight post slightly up into the black from 6 o'clock.
'6 o'clock' is when you balance the black ball on the front sight post like a ball
'line of white' is when you use a 6 o'clock and leave a slight amount of white between the black ball and the front sight post
'center mass' is when you hold the front sight post in the middle of the black

· Platinum Bullet Member
59,593 Posts
I find a little bit of a flat tire is a nice hold for the Garand especially in standing. HXP is good ammo for surplus. In a pinch I will shoot it in the CMP matches. I run the rounds through a seating die to get them all the same length and break the seal on the bullet.
Line off white worked better for me, and a tight hold. It took me about a year to learn my wobble in offhand.

OP, get off that bench and on your belly!
Learn to use the sling and you won't go back to the bench except to maybe try out reloads.

Eta, a friend and I were out last spring, SG type(not a CMP gun) with a decent barrel, HXP and a gong at 300, I was averaging 7 out of 8 offhand, gong is about 2' in diameter

· Copper Bullet member
4,870 Posts
Warning: NEVER bet against an old WWII vet in a shooting competition with an M1!
After he slowly makes his way to the bench with a walker, he will wet a finger and stick it in the air, adjust his glasses and stare at the target for a while, then tilt his head and adjust his M1 sights a click or two. Then he will proceed to kick your butt and make you look like a rank amateur!

Batteries not included ... you will learn to dial in the click stops on your M1 by feel and count without even looking at the sights and adjusting for distance and windage in your head.
Watching someone who truly knows how to shoot one is a beautiful thing!

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a self taught shooter, though I've been Appleseed and not military trained. I've been shooting 20+ years, and prefer the hasty-sling technique, either sitting or standing. I've only had bolt action rifles, mostly Mausers and my M03 Springfield until I got the M1 carbine in December, and the Garand in January. I prefer the old style sights over the peep sight. I used the bench to be sure I had the sights and sight picture dialed in.

PM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.