1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Ha, Gupta funny. Or are you Indian? The rifle looks the part.

Yes any day at the range beats work. Or in my case working on the home in constant rain, heat and humididy. I wonder if this July in the North East is a little taste of India in the rainy season?

·
Gold Bullet member
11,614 Posts
Nice rifle! Good shooting! 👍

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Sounds like a good day outing 👍🍻
I can’t help noticing (maybe me eyesight again 🤔🤷‍♂️) is the that a dog leg on the rear sight protecter on the left side?
Cheer’s.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Gupta! I luv it! What ammo does Gupta like best of all?
I call my 2A 'Free'cuz, well, you know....
My rifle will ding the plates at 200 also with most milsurp stuff and it makes me wonder about all the tales of woe that have always dogged these things. I've owned several over time but this current example is the only one I've ever worked up, so....I guess my trials/results got sorta slewed sideways into a happy place, eh? Well, to be fair and realistic, they are kinda like red headed step children to the majority I suppose, but ammo is available as well as components so there's that little bonus;)
Again, nice rifles, so we'll let the haters do what they do best, eh?
Looks like a dandy range too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gupta! I luv it! What ammo does Gupta like best of all?
I call my 2A 'Free'cuz, well, you know....
My rifle will ding the plates at 200 also with most milsurp stuff and it makes me wonder about all the tales of woe that have always dogged these things. I've owned several over time but this current example is the only one I've ever worked up, so....I guess my trials/results got sorta slewed sideways into a happy place, eh? Well, to be fair and realistic, they are kinda like red headed step children to the majority I suppose, but ammo is available as well as components so there's that little bonus;)
Again, nice rifles, so we'll let the haters do what they do best, eh?
Looks like a dandy range too.
Funny I asked. It likes Wolf/Tula steel cased 308. I fed it some Seller and Bellot rounds and it shot all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Funny I asked. It likes Wolf/Tula steel cased 308. I fed it some Seller and Bellot rounds and it shot all over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without wishing to ignite a whole debate - you do know, don't you, that SAMMI 308 is a very different thing to military 7.62 (which your rifle was designed for)
For just one example - the headspace is 13 thou (0.013") greater.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Without wishing to ignite a whole debate - you do know, don't you, that SAMMI 308 is a very different thing to military 7.62 (which your rifle was designed for)
For just one example - the headspace is 13 thou (0.013") greater.
I know. But Gupta doesnt like 762 NATO for some strange reason.

·
Registered
13,442 Posts
Great name for an Indian made rifle!
"Gupta-Ji"! I like it!
Meet the very British trio of Bert, Ernie & Victoria, (not in that order).

Reactions: kujuak

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,450 Posts
Please don't tell me the .308 is way hotter than 7.62 NATO myth is still believed by some here. :( That would make me very sad and cause much eye-rolling.

Now, if we want to discuss that a true .308 case is thinner at the web that the beefier 7.62 NATO case, then fine, especially given that Enfields having a rep for, shall we say, variable headspace. ;)

Glad to hear Gupta likes steel cased ammo, have to give that a try one of these days.

Reactions: SDigger and kujuak

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Please don't tell me the .308 is way hotter than 7.62 NATO myth is still believed by some here. :( That would make me very sad and cause much eye-rolling.

Maybe get ready to 'roll-eyes' (a little)
It is not so much that 308 is 'hotter' than 7.62 it is more that the original design, proof testing and materials used in the Ishapore 2A was based on the Military 7.62 ammunition of the time which was 144-150g bullets,

Folks are now using 308 with heavier bullets (and later 7.62 'hotter' / heavier rounds) which is increasing the pressures. The Ishapore 2a / 2A1 were very marginal anyway and thousands were rejected in production because the bodies warped/ twisted / locked-up during test firing.

It is fine using 'original' spec mil-spec ammunition, or, home loaded to the same spec.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
This from the National Rifle Association of Australia is pertinent to the discussion:
Many thanks, I have retained a copy of that as the question is raised on a regular basis & it is good to have documentary evidence for the well worn arguments "yes it is - no it isn't"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like fun!

Bob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts