Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, maybe it wasn't too much of a risk. McGintyMaine gave me a head's up on it from a local shop. He's good that way. $280 after taxes.

No 4 MK I*
Long Branch

Matching numbers on the receiver collar and bolt handle, with sling and bayonet. All other parts appear to be Long Branch. Has the England and pressure stamps. Not sure what the knox form stamps mean, nor if the furniture cartouches denote refurbishment? Original? Two groove bore with extremely sharp rifling, and my bore pic skills stink - it's not dark as the picture suggests, bright and shiny with a bore light with no pitting, excellent crown.

A little bit of reading from some excellent threads tells me that the peep sight on a '43 is correct. And the "FR" cartouche on what appears to be age/wear matched wood means that it was issued to the French Resistance (as good a theory as the rest. Ha!). If there were field repairs needed or done, I can't see them. Maybe it was factory refurbished?? Don't know, but any commentary is welcome.

Lots of pics, and thanks for looking.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Martin08,

Great battle rifle. "FR" was Field Repair, as I'm sure you are aware, and not French Resistance, although I do agree that it does sound 'cool' !
You scooped that rifle at a very good price.....it seems that any LB up North here it getting more pricy by the minute ??
Very nice photos and thanks for sharing it....very interesting. I suspect this rifle landed with the Canadians at Sicily in July '43 ?
Cheers,

·
Registered
638 Posts
I dunno, Martin08...looks like a $200 rifle to me, at best but, frankly, the last Mk.1* I bought I paid the widow of my good friend $250 for, a '43 Savage in VG condition two years ago and the last Mk.1 I sold was a '43 Maltby that was in VG condition, $200 to a nice young man in TX 15 months ago so maybe location and time differentials... The LB does tend to be, generally, very nicely made; I've always thought them almost as nice as the BSAs, better by far in fit and finish than the Savage, Maltby or Fazakerly. I will bet that the 'FR' goes with the '55 dated wood. Sling band screw needs snugging up. Nice that the bolt and action numbers match and I like the Mk.2 fore sight. The Mk.2 backsight (wartime expediency) can work well if you learn to use it but most folks go to Springfield Sporters and buy a Mk.1 backsight - easy swap but keep the original Mk.2 for historical value. I have reached a point in my old age at which I am happy with the five LEs I have and haven't shopped for more of them in the past couple of years so my viewpoint/value estimation may be skewed as to current values. Use flat-based bullets in that 2-groove. ed

·
Registered
935 Posts
The marks on the butt and forend are correct for Long Branch furniture, so are correct. The barrel is correctly marked for Long Branch, and is dated 1943 (the mark was poorly struck, so you only see the lower part of the 4 and the 3). The lower band is a replacement and is British. I can't quite work out the marks on the front sight protector, but it is not from Long Branch. Ed, why do you say the wood is from 1955? The mark on the buttstock? That is an inspector's mark for a specific inspector, but it does not indicate year.

I can pick up a 1944 Long Branch in my local gun shop in slightly better condition for $250 before taxes, and I would not consider it a waste of money. I think your rifle looks pretty good for one that has been through at least 1 major war.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
While I would still like to buy # 4's

at $15 to $20 like I did in 1969 , they

went up . Mostly they are 2 to 3 hundred

now days . Your rifle looks nice and would

prolly be a great hunting rifle or shooter .

Wood Table Shotgun
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Air gun

Bought this LB a few years ago .

FIVESHOT

·
Registered
638 Posts
Bones; my error on the '55' stamping. I see the LB stamp on the wood so '55' would not have been the year of FR for the wood - no LB wood made up by then. I regret the error. Still, it is a well-used '43LB, probably saw some action, given all the wood damage. Went back into my 'bound book' and see that I paid Brian Dick $249 for the very fine '49 Greek Contract LB in 2003. $250 for the very fine '43 Savage in 7/09. Where have the years gone? ed

·
Gold Bullet member
12,851 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info, as always on Gunboards.

- may have seen service with the Canadians in the Mediterranean
- a tad on the high side for expense
- I'll tighten the band screw
- barrel date matches '43 receiver
- furniture matches
- British lower band
- looks like an OZ on the front sight protector
- war time expedient sight
- FR means fantastic rifling

All good stuff to know. Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.