Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_534701.html

DeLay spoke highly of former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and Ron Paul, a Pittsburgh-area native and Texas congressman who DeLay had succeeded in 1985.

"I've known Ron a very, very long time -- I like to think of Ron Paul as 'The Conscience,'" DeLay said. "You've always got to have a conscience."

DeLay said the GOP has to work to defeat Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton next year.

"We've got to be on the ground," said DeLay, when asked how Republicans could stop a second Clinton presidency. "Grassroots is more important today than money."
I suggest many of you re-read or read this book:
sometimes called the conservative manifesto

I've got a copy of it sitting right next to me.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
"The Conscience of a Conservative "??

Goldwater was preaching to the choir in that book. I was a typical liberal at the time, my family was involved in politics in both parties, and all I saw was some chatter in the conservative newspapers. It didn't seem to have an impact on anyone beyond those Republicans who weren't in the Rockefeller camp. Unlike Ronald Reagan Goldwater just didn't reach beyond his core group of supporters.

IMHO Barry Goldwater seems to have been a conservative because he started out in as a conservative anti-communist. He just accepted the ideology that permiated his surroundings, didn't have the ability to develop a coherent and rigorous definition of his philosophy backed up by facts, and his extreme philosophical changes later in life, for no apparent reason, are proof of that.

Reagan may have been derided as non-intellectual, but his conservative philosophy was developed from his life experiences and had an internal consistency and relevance Goldwater lacked.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DeLay does not have clean hands. So why believe him
Wow you guys automatically throw anyone off the bus that might say something good about Paul..

Bush, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Powell all got their hands dirty by lying or stretching the truth, why believe them?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Wow you guys automatically throw anyone off the bus that might say something good about Paul..

Bush, Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld, Powell all got their hands dirty by lying or stretching the truth, why believe them?
Why do you need to refer to the liberal ghosts of decades long past?

Is your candidate so weak that this is the best argument that you can present?

Psssstt... Has anyone told you that President Bush has already served two terms and will not be running again?

...just trying to save you from further embarrassment.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,439 Posts
I have to confess I voted (first vote, too; you had to be 21 in those days, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, and great herds of Long-horned bison) for Lyndon Johnson in 1964. Didn't much trust Goldwater, for some reason, and besides - LBJ was a fellow Texan. A lot that vote got me - before the next election my ass was in Vietnam, where it came closer to getting shot off than i liked then, or like remembering now.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have to confess I voted (first vote, too; you had to be 21 in those days, when dinosaurs still roamed the earth, and great herds of Long-horned bison) for Lyndon Johnson in 1964. Didn't much trust Goldwater, for some reason, and besides - LBJ was a fellow Texan. A lot that vote got me - before the next election my ass was in Vietnam, where it came closer to getting shot off than i liked then, or like remembering now.
Yea, that LBJ vote was a great one. Look where it got you. :(

·
Registered
191 Posts
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_534701.html

I suggest many of you re-read or read this book:
sometimes called the conservative manifesto

I've got a copy of it sitting right next to me.

You really are a hypocrite, you know that? Guys like you - the neo-con labeling machines - are the ones that brought DeLay down, now you're quoting him because he speaks highly of your Frankenstein's Monster? (Part Libertarian, part Constitutionalist, part Conservative, part Doctor, part whack job).

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
and i refuse to read or reread anything MB.... aka lastword, suggests. you got a lot of growing up to do, boy. listen to the people that have been there and learn, and that will require you to shut your trap a little more. :D

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You really are a hypocrite, you know that? Guys like you - the neo-con labeling machines - are the ones that brought DeLay down, now you're quoting him because he speaks highly of your Frankenstein's Monster? (Part Libertarian, part Constitutionalist, part Conservative, part Doctor, part whack job).
Oh really, so you are 100% of something? Your 100% conservative? Do you even know what it means to be a conservative?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,122 Posts
Hey Lou, watch out! The youngster is going to tell you what you are. Don't the opinions of a mildly psychotic youngster make you stay up late at night thinking? Personally, I love watching him melt down after about two posts, when he realizes what a caricature of a human being he is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.