Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend received a photo of this rifle, any ideas?

·
Gold Bullet member
6,215 Posts
Can't say either way with just those photos, but the barrel has the very early イ proof stamp, and the stock has the hitherto unencountered (at least to me) 菊 inspector's mark on it (if it's a genuine stamp that is). Needs a good looking over to check the authenticity of the number.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Chip, yep it's "Kiku (菊)".... I have never seen this stock final inspection before on T-38s or T-30s before.
Neither have I and I don't think it's in Frank's Type 38 book either. An interesting example for sure. Wonder if the stock is original to the action?

On a personal note, it's good to see you back on the 'boards.

C/

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,304 Posts
On the gray blanket rifle, it looks to me like the original number may have been scrubbed before the present number was added. Looks like the Tokyo Arsenal mark was almost wiped out as well.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,289 Posts
I'm somewhat familiar with the rifle. I bought A15 back about 1966 and after inspection returned it. It had been described as a Mexican, so naturally...... If my memory is correct, I decided it was a trainer. The Tokyo Arsenal stamp is not strong and appears to have been buffed down. The caliber is 6.5mm, I think. The barrel character is similar to those I've examined that turned out to be late reworks. Etc. Bottom line is that I decided it was a T38 reworked at the arsenal. Original serial number was removed, and a new serial added using the A prefix. Was I right? Dunno. Those were the early days of my serious collecting.

So it went to another collector where it has probably been these past 50 years. That may confirm one thing. "Gray Blanket" has access to an old collection. "Gray Blanket" most likely is straight up and is selling the rifles for someone who "upgraded" his rifles over the years to make them more "purty." Stock switching, etc., was very common back in the day. Hey, there I did it - I'm using those dastardly "quotes" for "emphasis" like I seem to do occasionally.

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,289 Posts
Chip, it's got to be someone I corresponded with years ago and probably in "Gray Blanket's" area of the country. Over the years I've gotten info from some pretty big collections but can't imagine right now who it could be. Again, that was my guess on the matter of "Gray Blanket." Oh, yes, I haven't forgotten the photos I owe on the T13 trainer. It has been retrieved from the attic, but the perfect storm has hit me. For the past week, for example, since returning from up north, shatter proof windows are being installed in the house. With all the work going on, I don't want to play with firearms. Late last week, my 8 year old granddaughter did take a minute to come in my man-cave after school and tell me in front of one of the installers that my room really looks much better since I took all those guns off the wall........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.