Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I bought a Romanian Tokarev from SOG and I've been very happy with it. Shoots great, accurate, and just plain fun to shoot. Now on my last outing it went full auto. That was a lot of fun but not what it should be doing lol. When i got it back to the house and started to break it down i found the pin that holds the firing pin in place was moving in and out of the hole way to easy. I can easily insert and remove it by hand. Would that make it ramp into full auto? and Does anyone know where to get a replacement pin?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would lightly peen the sides of that pin and push it back in and try that fix. The Full Auto problem, I think there was a recall recently. I forget who it was from.
If it was mine I would take the safety down and inspect it to see how the crappy safety was making it go F/A it might be a simple fix.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Its a sping loaded firing pin, so I doubt thats the cause. Unless the firing pin is broken. You might remove the pin, and remove the firing pin and clean the channel, inspect the firing pin......Check the hammer group for wear, issues......May have two problems.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Maybe the firing pin spring is missing. That might allow for slam fires and also lead to battering and deformation of the firing pin retaining pin. If not that -- clean, clean, clean and inpect for anything that looks worn, broken, poorly fitted and the like. That is assuming you're going to DIY this fix. Official reccomendation has to be for you to send it back or take it to a good smith. Good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the firing pin spring is there and the firing pin isn't broken, so I'll break it back down and check the sear out. I don't recall seeing any bad wear on it, but never hurts to double check. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys! I bought a Romanian Tokarev from SOG and I've been very happy with it. Shoots great, accurate, and just plain fun to shoot. Now on my last outing it went full auto. That was a lot of fun but not what it should be doing lol. When i got it back to the house and started to break it down i found the pin that holds the firing pin in place was moving in and out of the hole way to easy. I can easily insert and remove it by hand. Would that make it ramp into full auto? and Does anyone know where to get a replacement pin?
i had the same thing happen to mine. i bought mine from SOG as well, a Romanian tokarev made in 1953. shoots great super accurate and fun. then it went all full auto on me. my firing pin and spring are in ship shape. and i dont notice any abnormal wear. some one PLEASE HELP, i dont like this..........i love the pistol its self, but not the uncontrolled firing.can it be too lubed? or are the trigger assemnblies always like this?

·
Silver Bullet member
420 Posts
That is one reason why they recommend not loading more than two rounds in a new gun. You use just 2 rounds until you are cretain that everything is working. Most common cause is dirty firing pin or channel. Second is dirty sear. Third is bad sear. You may have to replace the trigger group. Another possibility is a limp wrist and as a result you are double tapping the trigger.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As far as the loose fitting pin, I understand all pins in the Tokarev pistol have split ends which spring open and hold the pin in place. It should take a special tool to compress the ends when the pin is pushed out. I have seen people grind a "V" in the end of an appropriately-sized punch to do the job. I do not know of a commercial source for this Tokarev pin driving tool.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had the same thing happen to mine. i bought mine from SOG as well, a Romanian tokarev made in 1953. shoots great super accurate and fun. then it went all full auto on me. my firing pin and spring are in ship shape. and i dont notice any abnormal wear. some one PLEASE HELP, i dont like this..........i love the pistol its self, but not the uncontrolled firing.can it be too lubed? or are the trigger assemblies always like this?
What I found to be my problem was that after taking it shooting twice the sear and sear spring became slightly bent, and kept the gun from functioning properly. I'm guessing I got an over charged shell, since I've been shooting surplus rounds through it, but that's just a guess. No idea why it happened. I ordered replacement parts from Numrich and should be able to test it relatively soon. I'll post the results soon after I test.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as the loose fitting pin, I understand all pins in the Tokarev pistol have split ends which spring open and hold the pin in place. It should take a special tool to compress the ends when the pin is pushed out. I have seen people grind a "V" in the end of an appropriately-sized punch to do the job. I do not know of a commercial source for this Tokarev pin driving tool.
Yes the majority of TOK's do come with split pins to hold the firing pin in place. Unfortunately myself and a few others I've been talking to, have received simple straight pins in place of the split pins. Each having the same problem as me with them working loose and falling out. If anyone knows where to get the split pins PLEASE let me know! I've been looking everywhere for them and have been coming up empty. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts