Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this at the Greenville show. A guy walked up to my table, said he saw my Japanese gun and asked if I wanted another one. I said I woul;d like to see it. He went out to his car, came back in with it and said $ 200.00 with the bayonet, after a few minutes of looking at it, he said give me $ 150.00 if you want it. As I am paying him, he told me his father brought it back from the war in 1943.
He also said he had a letter from hid dads commanding officer allowing him to take it home. He is sending it to me !!!! The gun is in great shape, missing 2 screws, at the top of the butt plate, and one from the sling swivel. Mum is fully intact !!! Has dust cover, and the bayonet. I think its a Type 38.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Just noticed something cool. Frank Allan's great Type 38 book shows serial number 901848 is known, making yours one of the very few known consecutively serial-numbered survivors.

C/

·
Platinum Bullet member
1,536 Posts
Neat that there's a consecutive serial number out there somewhere. Stock looks to be sanded and restained. Notice how the wood line does not match the metal line. These early Type 38 rifles were exceptionally well made and the wood would be flush with the metal.

John in Charlotte, NC

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Oops, forgot- I quit doing values- I'm always wrong.

What you paid is a good price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.