Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at the range 2 weeks ago shooting a couple of my M96's at 300 yards. One rifle was shooting very well and the other one seemed to just not have the grouping I was looking for. My goal is sub-MOA shooting with open sights at 200 and 300 yards. Using handloaded Lapua brass , RL22, and 140 Amax bullets.
A lifelong member of the local shooting club, WWII vet, 86 years old rangemaster was looking at the old Swedes and commented that he could help make them shoot better groups by recrowning the muzzle. He said he had the right tool to do a proper crown job, all I need to do was buy a 6.5mm sized tool from Brownells. (About $20)

My questions are:
1. Do other Swede shooters find better accuracy by doing a recrown on your Swedes?
2. Does a recrown job show significant gunsmithing work on the rifle to the point that it would diminish collector value?
3. Any other pros and cons regarding a recrown job done with the proper type of tool?

Comments appreciated, Opee

·
Copper Bullet member
696 Posts
I have 3 M96's to reload for and each has it's own taste in what it likes. In the one that wasn't shooting good, were your action screws tight? I have never needed to recrown any of mine.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,203 Posts
If you use the Brownells 11 degree crowning tool , it would decrease the value . By how much is up to each collector . If you use a radial crowning tool to match the original contour of the muzzle , I do not think it would have much effect on the value , if any . I have seen a number of Swede muzzles that were recrowned before importation into the USA . The Swedes had an after market crowning tool available that was driven by a wood workers brace . The main purpose is to true up the exit point of the bore so that gas exits equally around the bullet as it leaves the barrel . Using a cleaning rod from the bore can wear it unevenly & the crowning tool corrects that , provided it is in alignment to the bore when used . The best crowning is done in a lathe . The hand held crowning tools may not work perfectly , depending on the size of the pilot & the skill of the person using it . It looks like Brownells has only 4 size pilots . I cannot see how they would work with each caliber . Some would be loose . You would have a hard time keeping the crowning tool square to the bore if the pilot was under size . If I were you , I would get a gunsmith to put a matching crown on a lathe , if you decide to recrown the muzzle .

Here is a Swedish crowning cutter used with a tee handle . Also , the cutter & pilot .

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts