Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seem to be impossible to send you a message by another way. Well, finally, I was not able to find a troop model for you. Despite all the researches I did, no one seem to make that anymore. The very last guy who still do swords for french officers in France (he has bought the tools from Balp) simply told me that he'd be very interested if I was able to tell him a person which would be able to make it. Most of the Officers buy now their swords to a german sword maker (!) and this firm only sell officers dragonne (black silk with gold or silver). A french firm in Lyon makes the same items. The republican guard itself make one "once in a blue moon", only as a replacement of a broken one. I will contact one last guy I know at the caserne Vérine, but I don't have very much hope. When I think it was so easy to get one ten years ago!
If you want, I can make close picture of the one I have (sorry, cannot give you this one, it was my grand father's one), with all the necessary measures, a guy familiar with leather work would be able to rebuild one.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Le Dragonne....

Almas: I have located a Sergeant Chef Dragonne, and installed it on the Epee d' SousOfficier...The Cavalrie Troopers is the same as the US Army, as it the Officiers, so I am all set on this.

Thanks for trying, and I like the background information on the current state of blades in France. I was an Officer in the US Army, and I still have the Saber and the accoutremonts, I did not know until recently that the US copied the French Design and its fittings....

Dale

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
swords still used in France

Like a lot of people in my family, I wear uniform, and we still use swords for ceremonies and mariages. A part of the honour guard of the last I took part. I have relatives in the states too. The last mariage was at fort Bliss, and there was an honour guard too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts