Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...first off I hate the dimple-less receivers. Hate them. I just think they are an abomination. Never owned one, mind you-- just am repulsed by the look.
Next, I have a home built Romy G and several mak-90s. I don't "need" another AK.

That being said, a local shop has a wasr-10/63. I looked it over and was very surprised to find the mag well appeared to have been factory hicap or an excellent machine job rather than the typical hit and miss dremel job.
Wow, I said.
Looking further it appeared to be built on a military kit, all matching and nearly new. Comes with 2 mags, bayonet, etc. $429 +tax.

Are these U.S. barrels or actual Romy barrels?

I can get an SAR-1 for about the same price from a buddy...but I like the idea of the threaded barrel and all the goodies...I checked the gas piston and there appears to be no "wobble" or movement of any kind...this concerns me as this particular shop had some AKs a while back with pistons that would bind in the gas tube as they were canted, screwed tight and spot welded.

Is there any issues that appear to be common with these WASRs?

TIA

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think CAI has improved the quality of the GP WASR 10/63 considerably. Still need to check for the standard issues, slanted sight or gas block and mag wobble. They now have a G2 trigger group as standard, so trigger slap is a thing of the past.
I bought one recently and it is awesome. Shoots well, accurate (by AK standards) and is boringly reliable. Pretty sure my barrel is Romanian -- it is definitely chrome lined. CAI states they have 5 us parts and 10 import. Pistol grip, gas rod, muzzle break and trigger group are all marked US or C so I assume all other parts are original Romanian.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Century has nothing to do with the manufacture of these. It is all done in the Cugir Factory and/or Sadu Arsenal. All Century does is import the rifles cut the magwell out with a template, put in a G2 group, a nasty little black grip, cheap gas piston & cheesy slant-cut brake. ALL the newer ones are built with sometimes unissued G kits, thats what happened to them all. Several of the ones I have seen were 1963-1969 which are really good parts kits. The older ones you can get the better, it seems the Communist fervor sorta fell out in the late 1970s & onwards......... No problems whatsoever with a WASR in my opinion, get one of 'em while you still can, or 2 or 3.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My first rifle I ever bought was a dimple-less, post-ban, aka weenie-less WASR-10, basically about as bottom of the barrel as you can get. Even came complete with a PSL style skeleton stockset, and a crappy FCG (not the G2 set at that time, think century was producing their own or had the FCG contract out to another company).

Got screwed with it to, way over priced, think at the time I paid $369 out the door for mine when at the time the SAR series was still in production and selling for under $300 at aim surplus.

That being said, that rifle ran flawlessly through the thousands of rounds I put through it and never had a failure of any kind.... dimple-less, canted sights, gas block and all. I loved that thing.

The WASR series has become just as much of a icon in the AK world today as the MAK-90 was in the 90's - high volume production - you can find one anywhere - its cheap and most of all - it goes boom when you want it to. IMO a WASR ak is a great addition to the gun collection and if someday the production stops like the MAK-90 and other chinese weapons did it will become a collector item as well.

Bill what about transfering a rifle to your gun shop? 430 seems pretty high for a WASR when aimsurplus or centerfire have them for less?

Stinkyrat

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
I have one of the 10/63s and it runs like a top. It is great fun shooting off a bench with the G2 trigger as you can get off REALLY quick double taps if you let the butt sit loosely on your shoulder. One day somebody at the range will accuse me of having a full auto, I'm sure.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have one of the 10/63s and it runs like a top. It is great fun shooting off a bench with the G2 trigger as you can get off REALLY quick double taps if you let the butt sit loosely on your shoulder. One day somebody at the range will accuse me of having a full auto, I'm sure.
bump fire?

·
Copper Bullet member
981 Posts
There is one for sale on the trader. It is priced right and I was going to buy it and then passed due to all the neg reviews I read about them on the net.

Then again, the days of the polytech imports are over and there isn't much left out there to buy except for parts kit builds of the romies...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I went to purchase the wasr today and it was gone...the one remaining wasr was poorly finished (compared to the other one I initially described) the bayo and sheath was garbage and I could not bring myself to pull the trigger on it for $460 OTD.

I did look at a Saiga 7.62x39..it was marked $549.99, NIB. It's been a while since I looked at one...it seemed to me that it would be easy enough to dremel a standard AK mag latch to fit the Saiga.

My price was $369 + tax and needless to say, it came home with me. I've got some 40rd South Korean mags that I easily modified to fit. Test feed with a dummy round and they seem to fit and feed just fine.
I am not worried about converting it to "std" AK style but do miss the pistol grip. I am thinking about getting one of the tapco saiga stocks for it. The had a S12 in the store with one of the tapco stocks and seemed pretty solid and comfortable.

·
Registered
758 Posts
A WASR is a great addition to any AK collection.

Why?

They tend to be bottom rank in appearance and thus serve the role of shooter better than any safe queen.

'Tis a great thing to have a beater to grab, ride fast and put away wet and grimy. As Stinkyrat points out: goes boom when you want it to.

Too late to make a diff, of course, but you asked and I'll tell you - buy a WASR10/63 - and buy it soon.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,903 Posts
lack of dimples does'nt bother me if there is no excessive wobble. i have several WASR's i lije them all. just order one form AIM, you won't be let down.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
bump fire?
Sort of. If I shoot from my rest with the butt not too firm into my shoulder and do not follow through firmly with my trigger finger, then there is just enough movement to reset the trigger and the bounce back off my shoulder is enough for my finger to fire the second round. It probably is only possible because of the G2 trigger.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'll look through their next shipment and if I find a nice one like the one I waited too long to get, I'll pop it on layaway...
For a beater AKM, WASRS (all variety's) are pretty much hit and miss- - Be sure to check for mag fit and wobble first as these were re-built military rifles on single stack magwell receivers for the purpose of importing them as sporting rifles, to get them into the country...Even though Century workers use a 'template' to open up the single stack magwell, they are in a hurry and often as not, the magwell is cut too big causing mag wobble, sometimes major mag wobble.. Also check for alignment of components, not only the FSB but the gas block and RSB as well.

Romanian Q.C. is not the best on these, but the 10/63's seem to be in better shape overall than the standard WASR 10's.-, period.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.