Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was going through some stuff I'd saved in my HD and found this.

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The big type is because your eyes are shot at your age.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
3,956 Posts
So True UB' I grew up on a farm 28 miles from town and the roads were dirt and all we had for transport was an old model A Ford Buckboard.
It had to be a bad accident before we were taken to town for treatment, Kerosene or metholated spirits fixed most open wounds.
I shot my self through the thigh on horse back with an old s/shot .22 when i was 13 and Kerosene fixed it up great.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
SO True.... No one was ever diagnosed as ADD back then either......

It was good times back then always playing wiffle ball in the summer.

·
Copper Bullet member
10,024 Posts
ROTFLMAO! God, I'm a dinasaur! When we did use the phone we only had to dial 4 numbers. As for TV if you squinted just right you could make out the occasional figure amongst all the snow. I was one of those who flunked out of little league baseball, but I was over it the next day. My how time goes by and things change!

·
Platinum Bullet member
677 Posts
Born 1961 .
Played with mercury a few times back in the late 60's early 70's ... spilled a little . Drank water out of the outside faucet or out of the creek when we got thirsty . Go out to play army in the morning and back in time for evening dinner at the table . Watched Hawaii Five-O , Tarzan , Johnny Quest , Wild Wild West , Time Tunnel , Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea , The Outer Limits and Gunsmoke . Shot a .22 in our basement into an Outers bullet trap with poor ventilation . Rode our horses without a helmet . Drove my go-cart on the street . Played in the attic where we had fiberglas insulation . Collected pop bottles and cashed them in for a nickel and bought candy . Made tennis ball cannons out of 4 tin cans taped together . Put lighter fluid in the bottom and launched the tennis ball . Bottle rocket "wars" . BB gun "wars" . Made swords out of lumber and had sword fights after watching Errol Flynn movies . Gathered all the kids on the block after a good snow and built 2 snow forts , then another "war" .

Man I'm messed up big time :cool:

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Born 1961 .
Played with mercury a few times back in the late 60's early 70's ... spilled a little . Drank water out of the outside faucet or out of the creek when we got thirsty . Go out to play army in the morning and back in time for evening dinner at the table . Watched Hawaii Five-O , Tarzan , Johnny Quest , Wild Wild West , Time Tunnel , Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea , The Outer Limits and Gunsmoke . Shot a .22 in our basement into an Outers bullet trap with poor ventilation . Rode our horses without a helmet . Drove my go-cart on the street . Played in the attic where we had fiberglas insulation . Collected pop bottles and cashed them in for a nickel and bought candy . Made tennis ball cannons out of 4 tin cans taped together . Put lighter fluid in the bottom and launched the tennis ball . Bottle rocket "wars" . BB gun "wars" . Made swords out of lumber and had sword fights after watching Errol Flynn movies . Gathered all the kids on the block after a good snow and built 2 snow forts , then another "war" .

Man I'm messed up big time :cool:
Yes, those were good old days. My "Born on Date" is 1960. How much were those tubes of BB's back then? .25 or .30 cents, if I recall correctly. I don't remember too many fat kids then either, but maybe it's the heavy metal poisining setting in though..

·
Registered
961 Posts
George Carlin [I hope he is up in heaven, of his choice, laughing at it all] summed it up by saying "we swam in raw sewage and it didn't hurt us."

But I will say, the kids I know in my classes, species: feral, alternative,

and my platoon [our company as well ] over in Iraq, all 18, 19, 22

are the best, the kids are all right

as are the 3x savage brutes in my house

the most broke **** diagnosis these days "ODD" oppositional defiance disorder.....

my Teresa did not even look up from folding laundry and said "isn't that every teenager on earth?"

·
Gold Bullet member
335 Posts
Born 1977.

Thanks for the list. Reading that jogged some fond memories growing up in my childhood town. Playing with the kids in the neighborhood. No video games, etc, just like the list says. I did most of those things. But, never liked white bread. And still don't.
I have never broken a bone in my life. I climbed alot of trees though, but never fell out....haha. Maybe those two go hand-in-hand.

Cheers

·
Registered
847 Posts
We played outside in all kinds of weather. We swam in a creek. Before swimming, my brother and I would spend 30 minutes or so shooting any visible cottonmouths with our .22 rifles. Then we'd swim in the same water.

Wouldn't do that on a bet, today.

We climbed the few trees we could find, jumped off barns and outhouses, and crawled through caves with flashlights or lighters to guide us. We got indoor plumbing when I was 12. The first phone was in my last year of high school. It was a party line. Summers were spent doing dawn to dusk work in the fields from the time I was 6. Fall through spring we had to feed cattle, break ice off the stock tanks, deliver calves, and harvest grain. Milking was year round. Dad ran us all off because he knew the government was killing the family farm, but I took a good work ethic and values with me.

It was a great life and I miss it. I hope to go back to some of it when/if I can afford to retire.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Made tennis ball cannons out of 4 tin cans taped together . Put lighter fluid in the bottom and launched the tennis ball .
I used an old piece of pipe and parts from a rusted out trailer to make an wheeled anti tank gun, complete with shield made of plywood. I put walnuts sill in the usk in the breech put a lit cherry bomb in behind it and quickly put the end cap on. The walnuts sailed for hundreds of yards and all the property down range now has 50 year old walnut trees thick as hair on a dogs back.

We used regular BB guns to play war like airsoft players use the plastic BBs today. Rules were no shooting above the legs. The homemade bows and blunt arrows and javelins made from cane poles were much more dangerous.
We also had giant sling shots made from bicycle intertubes to shoot cans full of dust with a cherrybomb in the center, pretty impressive blasts.
These were the old style cherry bombs that could take all your fingers off if you weren't careful. One guy wasn't and now has two deformed fingers and a twisted thumb on one hand.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have a theory that all men born before the 70s have a flat surface on at least one thumb from having black cats or lady fingers going off in their hands. For me, it's the left thumb.

·
Registered
847 Posts
No I never had a black cat explode in my hand so no flat thumb. I did nearly cut both thumbs off several times trying to learn to juggle knives.
Did you ever play Chicken or Stretch with pocket knives? It was a playground standard in my grade school. We all had holes in our toes.

·
Gold Bullet Member
510 Posts
We pledged allegiance to the flag every morning and sometimes said prayers in class. We never had our asses wiped with chubs and never wore pampers. I'd get my ass beat if I didn't use "Sir" or "Ma'am" (although that may be a southern thing cause yankees don't have manners). No seat belts or car seats.

The other day they took some girls to court because they threw some prospective cheerleaders in a pool blindfolded. Sheeet.

This country has become way too pussyfied!

·
Copper Bullet member
10,024 Posts
Texian, yes we did. I did until the ineviatable hole in the shoe and toe happened. Mom beat the XXXX out of me for ruining a pair of shoes and then told Dad who beat the ever loving XXXX out of me with a promise to rip my head off if it ever happened again. lol my days of chicken and stretch were over! As for the damaged thumbs I just ripped up some rags for bandages and lied my XXX off about how the injuries occured. Wanted to learn how to juggle hunting knives so bad that I cut my thumbs nearly off several times along with some deep cuts to the palms. Some folk {like me} have difficulty learning.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Did you ever play Chicken or Stretch with pocket knives? It was a playground standard in my grade school. We all had holes in our toes.
Yep. We called it Chicken. There was always some ***hole you swore was trying to hit your foot so you had to be on your toes...literally. :)

We used to set up bottles in the alley behind the houses (lived in town) and bust them with rocks and BB guns. It was OK as long as we picked up the big pieces of glass. ;) Playing in the trash fires (Everybody burned their trash/garbage either in 55gal. drums or in "pits" made of blocks. When they got full of burnt trash the city came along and dumped your barrel or shoveled out your pit for you.) was fun too...especially when there was a hidden aerosol can in there. :D You'd also be surprised at how many different pyrotechnic devices can be made from kitchen matches, bottle caps, masking tape, bicycle spokes, ect. Good old days for sure.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,291 Posts
Ah yes - trash fires. And the "boom" from a dead flashlight battery tossed in...

I'm vintage of 1943, so recall most of those things and a lot more. Things have changed, and not always for the better.

But i do like modern medical miracles for things like fixing cataracts...

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,873 Posts
On the ranch where I grew up, south of the road was a pasture & on the west fence, the top strand of wire was for the telephone. When Dad sent me over with staples & pliers to fix fence, he always had me check the phone line. Any problems ( like busted or loose insulators), Mom would crank up the phone ( dry cell batteries in the cupboard) and tell Mabel. Mable would relay the message to George, and he'd stop by in a week or so to fix it.

Ain't it funny how people can't function without a cell phone today?

We didn't have TV until 1958, and had a choice of TWO channels. SW

·
Registered
847 Posts
Our TV showed up in 1959. I barely remember the last season of Howdy Doody. On good days we got 2 channels from either Abilene or Wichita Falls (depending on the weather).

1 - 20 of 41 Posts