Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I bought a 35th series with an early bolt in it about a month ago. Well, since then I located a proper late type bolt for it. My question is it requires a little bit more force to close it than the earlier bolt. I cleaned the chamber and the later bolt as best as I could. Still requires some force, not a lot to close it. Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,588 Posts
Sounds like the laws of tolerance may have gotten you. Are you closing with a round in the chamber or empty?

How did you determine it is the correct late bolt? Does it have TK proofs?

I should be a plumb shaped handle with late welded safety, though the welded, then turned smooth safety continues to show up occasionally.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,322 Posts
AS 03man pointed out, TKs don't take a "late" bolt. If you got one with a cylindrical bolt handle (barrel shaped versus egg shaped), you have an incorrect type for the rifle. Rear safety will be crudely welded. For the cost of a replacement bolt, I recommend you buy some reference books. 03man and Ronin have a new book on 99s, Honeycutt is the "bible" and McCollum's will do for most new collectors. It will save you from well intentioned but incorrect "restorations". The number of monopods and dust covers floating around on guns that NEVER had one is an expensive example.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Here's a couple Series 35 bolts. First is 3k range and the rougher one is 36k range. This is the roughest looking bolt I've seen for a TK, but I've only seen pics of higher serials so who knows why this one is so rough. There are three acceptance stamps on the bolt handle root (and a faint unreadable 4th): Circle M (Nagoya?) and Circle "Ke" and Triangle "Ke".

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TK Bolt Reply

Thank You for your help guy's.
I guess I should have described this bolt a little better. The numbers are all matched. It has a large round gas escape hole in the bolt body and a little shorter extractor. The handle is plumb shaped with a small flat on the end. The bottom of the bolt handle has what looks like the Juki Kogyo (clover leaf looking mark). The safety has a rough blob weld on the face. I would like to post pictures, but I am waiting for a new digital camera. I am going to a local gunshow this weekend and I will get Honneycutt's book. Thanx Again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts